Jersey number solution

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
not quite certain this is good idea, you want it to be a fairly random contest, not a "she is better, so she gets the number she wants", might result in that kinda vibe, bad vibe to have at very start.
Unfortunately that’s part of life some people are better at certain things than others. Pick something you feel they are equal at. Maybe a foot race, throwing for distance, best bunt, whatever.

May 6, 2015
Unfortunately that’s part of life some people are better at certain things than others. Pick something you feel they are equal at. Maybe a foot race, throwing for distance, best bunt, whatever.
my issue is not that some are better at some things than others, it is just I would not use that as a way to settle this issue. just plants a seed for "A is the star, they get whatever they want", even if it is not going to be the case. dont let that seed come anywhere near your team.

I like the rolling a ball from HP to pitching plate (or vice versa), not really a game relevant skill at all, but still a contest. and no warning either, just have them do it cold at end of practice one day.

Apr 28, 2019
my issue is not that some are better at some things than others, it is just I would not use that as a way to settle this issue. just plants a seed for "A is the star, they get whatever they want", even if it is not going to be the case. dont let that seed come anywhere near your team.

I like the rolling a ball from HP to pitching plate (or vice versa), not really a game relevant skill at all, but still a contest. and no warning either, just have them do it cold at end of practice one day.
I get it you want something that requires no skill or real competition.
Maybe I’m overly competitive but if I want something I want to have a hand in determining the outcome not just leave it up to chance.

Jun 11, 2012
Have you asked the girls if either one of them would be ok with a different number? Sometimes they don’t care as much as you think.

May 6, 2015
Maybe I’m overly competitive but if I want something I want to have a hand in determining the outcome not just leave it up to chance.
not at all, I siad I liked the rolling the ball from HP to pitching rubber. that requires both skill and is a competition. just not a competition of applicable softball skills, so it can not in anyway be used as an indicator of who is the "better player". I just think you avoid showing favoritism (beyond PT, etc.) based on who is the "better player", treat them all fairly. it is a fine distinction, treating them all fairly vs treating them all equally, they are not the same thing.

Apr 28, 2019
not at all, I siad I liked the rolling the ball from HP to pitching rubber. that requires both skill and is a competition. just not a competition of applicable softball skills, so it can not in anyway be used as an indicator of who is the "better player". I just think you avoid showing favoritism (beyond PT, etc.) based on who is the "better player", treat them all fairly. it is a fine distinction, treating them all fairly vs treating them all equally, they are not the same thing.
I get what your saying but to me it’s a softball team issue and hence would be best settled with a softball related competition.
Some people take numbers pretty seriously some could care less.
You could do something like the ball roll to pitchers plate/home plate.
Have the players go to outfield and have them throw to home with closest ball to home winning the event. It’s something they should do in practice throwing to home so fair competition.

May 29, 2015

Neither here nor there, but I know several local-level politicians who are in office because they pulled out the red golf ball in a blind draw or drew the high card. Not exaggerating this one! It seems to be happening more and more around here.

Apr 28, 2019
Neither here nor there, but I know several local-level politicians who are in office because they pulled out the red golf ball in a blind draw or drew the high card. Not exaggerating this one! It seems to be happening more and more around here.
There in lies the problem. Best qualified/most experienced person should get the post. Should not be determined by game of chance. Copout. Make a decision and go with it!

Apr 28, 2019
The decision is made by the voters ... the votes ended in a tie. Yes, your vote DOES matter! 😁
Can you say runoff? Politics is in a terrible state nationwide. Need a legitimate 3rd party. A moderate party that can actually compromise and come together for the common good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28