Jersey number solution

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2019
Hello all. I'm a coach looking for some advice. Starting a new travel team and two girls are requesting the same jersey number. Both are same age and they both have played with the number since start of rec league.

How would you handle this?

I'm thinking the fairest solution is just asking BOTH girls to pick a new number, but I wanted to hear feedback from what other coaches have done in these situations. Any creative ideas on how to handle this fairly and without issues?

Apr 16, 2013
When I had this with rec league it was first come first serve. Send me your top 3 requests. I had one set of boys that requested the same #, so it went to the first one that got the request in. The other boy got his second choice.

Nov 18, 2015
If it's a single digit, see if one of the girls would want a "double" number - "77" may end up looking cooler in their eyes than just "7".

May 24, 2013
So Cal
"One free ice cream cone to the girl willing to pick a different number!"

Okay...maybe not...unless you're willing to buy ice cream for the whole team when they all decide to change numbers.

Aug 23, 2016
If it's a single digit, see if one of the girls would want a "double" number - "77" may end up looking cooler in their eyes than just "7".

And if it's a 2-digit number (but not a double number) - you can split the number in two so two girls wanting #27 can be #2 and #7. Or one of them can have the number in reverse, so it's #27 and #72.

Jun 8, 2016
Hello all. I'm a coach looking for some advice. Starting a new travel team and two girls are requesting the same jersey number. Both are same age and they both have played with the number since start of rec league.

How would you handle this?

I'm thinking the fairest solution is just asking BOTH girls to pick a new number, but I wanted to hear feedback from what other coaches have done in these situations. Any creative ideas on how to handle this fairly and without issues?
First one who guesses the closest prime number to the desired number wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802