Jayleen - 13yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
You're doing great, keep working on her rhythym. The potential advantage of the step back, protection of her grip (not a priority at her age now, but will be later) and drive momentum by utilizing both legs & both arms. She checks all the boxes.

Such as has been suggested by others, she's opening a little much ... where that will rob some forward momentum. I think she's still hesitant to get to, and through brush without a black-n-blue thigh. Just before her contact point, she's pulling the emergency brake ... which locks up the back side, promotes the lean forward and keeps the hips from the closing and trail foot locked in the past.

Maybe you could work on those issues by focusing on simplifying the pitching motion into 45-degree slingshots. Graduated, slower motion walkthroughs where she's training both her mind and motion from the old habits to the new ones.

PS ... that motion seems familiar, almost like I've seen it before. :unsure:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
PS ... that motion seems familiar, almost like I've seen it before. :unsure:

Haha - Tell ya what....both of us utilizing a similar style makes working at home WAY easier. And, it's me mimicking her, not the other way around.

Appreciate the comments and feedback/suggestions. We're going to ease her back into throwing this week now that the knee is almost back to normal. The last time she strode was the week before Thanksgiving when she injured the knee so I want to come back slowly as to not reaggravate the injury.

Multiple people have mentioned the brush and I know it's referenced here often. We've just paid so much attention to her lower half and working on a clean arm circle (she tends to pull it behind her head) that I hadn't paid much attention to it. Will definitely make it a priority now along with the other suggestions.

Now that we've established a foundation, and she understands it, really looking forward to watching her grow some more this year.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Quick update. The knee pain got better and then came back. Took her to a sports medicine clinic and they basically attributed it to growth. Nothing torn and they didn't feel a MRI was necessary. She shot up and filled out almost over night. Her knee just didn't catch up. We've been using a brace the clinic provided (which has been very helpful) to help her manage the pain. Resistant band work, body weight exercises, stretching, and ice after practices has been a daily staple of her "rehab". They said as long as the pain doesn't get worse that she'll eventually be okay.

She took a few steps back during Jr High practice sessions just because we've limited her work at home to give her knee a break. They go 5-days a week for 2+ hours. It's finally getting better and pain is less and less. It's never gotten worse which was the key thing. So we did some light throwing last week working her up almost to full speed to see how bad the pain got. We found a rhythm that let her manage. Then low and behold a week later (yesterday) she wanted to go throw a little in the yard and is getting up and down with no issue. Growth pains are weird.

Any rate....some issues previously identified are back. Forward lean, opening too much (bowling leg has come back some), not getting hips square at release, etc. BUT, she's aware of them and wanting to correct. She was so happy to be feeling better I didn't bother nit picking. The only thing we made sure happened was keeping the ball in the glove longer during stride. Her and I both have a habit of breaking too early.

We have been working on keeping a looser arm through the circle and better IR. Not sure if she'll pitch today (MS first game) or not. I'd almost prefer she gets another week off before getting into the circle, but we'll see.

If she does pitch I'll grab some video and post it.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Jayleen has finally been able to get back in the circle. The last game she pitched was in Fall (video above). We went through ups and downs with her knee. She is feeling just about back to normal and pitched for the first time in game this year. Luckily, the team they faced wasn’t very good and the game was a blow out. Perfect opportunity to get her back throwing.

Lots of regression (unsurprisingly). We will be spending some time fixing the monkey butt, drag leg, trusting the drive knee and sequencing. But, I’m just happy she’s back on the rubber. She’s happier. The rest should come back pretty quickly. In her one inning she went K, BB, HBP, K, K.

These clips are from the lead off hitter.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802