James Madison Softball Player Lauren Bernett dies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011

No cause of death, but definitely a cause for concern. This is the 3rd or 4th female college athlete that has died this year that I've heard about.

She was announced as the conference player of the week yesterday for her performance last week.

Jun 27, 2021
Mine texted me this morning. As a parent, do your part to have the conversation about mental health. If your child believes their only value is how they are viewed as a softball player then we as parents and coaches have let them down. A year ago, I had a conversation with mine that one of the first things I want her to do when she gets to college is talk with someone, once a month, week to help navigate life, sports and being a young adult in todays world not mom and dads world we grew up in back in the 90's. I reminded her again last week to promise me she would reach out because as the season is wrapping up and she is wanting to live up to the expectations she achieved her Junior year. I remind her she had nothing to prove, have fun and be you. But not just your kid, always tell your former players and those close to your kids when you see them out in public that you love them, you'll be surprised by their reaction that you care. Could be what they need in that moment.

Know your kid and know this world they are growing up in is one cruel one and one down moment in sports or life can be the last they can handle.

Last edited:

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Mine texted me this morning. As a parent, do your part to have the conversation about mental health. If your child believes their only value is how they are viewed as a softball player then we as parents and coaches have let them down. A year ago, I had a conversation with mine that one of the first things I want her to do when she gets to college is talk with someone, once a month, week to help navigate life, sports and being a young adult in todays world not mom and dads world we grew up in back in the 90's. I reminded her again last week to promise me she would reach out because as the season is wrapping up and she is wanting to live up to the expectations she achieved her Junior year. I remind her she had nothing to prove, have fun and be you. But not just your kid, always tell your former players and those close to your kids when you see them out in public that you love them, you'll be surprised by their reaction that you care. Could be what they need in that moment.

Know your kid and know this world they are growing up in is one cruel one and one down moment in sports or life can be the last they can handle.
This exactly. I just found out yesterday that a girl who I knew from school was just committed to the psych ward at our local hospital. We weren't really close. We knew each other to talk to each other. We didn't hang out much or run in the same social circles. I know she had been having some mental problems since after we graduated from high school and started college. I guess the transition has been rough on her.

I know I meet with someone every two weeks...just to talk. I never mentioned it here...but...I did go through a couple of bouts of anxiety and depression when I first started going to college. I think it was the whole transition going from high school to college and the whole unknown thing. I'm past it, now.

Jun 27, 2021
This exactly. I just found out yesterday that a girl who I knew from school was just committed to the psych ward at our local hospital. We weren't really close. We knew each other to talk to each other. We didn't hang out much or run in the same social circles. I know she had been having some mental problems since after we graduated from high school and started college. I guess the transition has been rough on her.

I know I meet with someone every two weeks...just to talk. I never mentioned it here...but...I did go through a couple of bouts of anxiety and depression when I first started going to college. I think it was the whole transition going from high school to college and the whole unknown thing. I'm past it, now.
Thank you for sharing. You're not alone and hopefully these help bring awareness inside the home, athletic fields and within the players themselves to speak up.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Thank you for sharing. You're not alone and hopefully these help bring awareness inside the home, athletic fields and within the players themselves to speak up.
Thank you so much for this, PapaBear. I'm doing so much better, now. I know I stress and get a little bit anxious trying to plan a graduation party for my fiance and more distant...my wedding in a little more than a year. But I'm good. But when I talk to freshmen in any of my classes or a teammate who appears to be going through something, I encourage them to seek out student services. It really helped me.

I don't know where your daughter is in her journey...but I'd encourage her to see out student services. I feel like I'm better for it. My recent slump at the plate is something we've talked about since my counselor does sports stuff as well.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Can't assume that her death had anything to do with sports. From that standpoint, it looks like she was a good player having a good year. The last couple of weekends, up through her last game on Sunday, she was tearing it up at the plate. Can't make any assumptions, period.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thank you so much for this, PapaBear. I'm doing so much better, now. I know I stress and get a little bit anxious trying to plan a graduation party for my fiance and more distant...my wedding in a little more than a year. But I'm good. But when I talk to freshmen in any of my classes or a teammate who appears to be going through something, I encourage them to seek out student services. It really helped me.

I don't know where your daughter is in her journey...but I'd encourage her to see out student services. I feel like I'm better for it. My recent slump at the plate is something we've talked about since my counselor does sports stuff as well.

Thank you for all your input over the years. I think you might be the only active player who regularly participates on DFP. Sharing the reality of your journey is tremendously valuable insight. I hope your playing career ends on a high note.

Also...CONGRATS on your upcoming marriage!! That's awesome!! :D

Jan 22, 2011
This is an article by a Stanford women's basketball player who graduated in 2020 who talked to several players on the 2021 National Championship team about the mental health issues as an athlete. She has been an advocate for mental health.

"Fear of speaking up – or out – plays a major role in the culture of elite college sports. Athletes are afraid of being seen as weak, fragile, undisciplined, untrustworthy"

The pressures of being a college athlete are high normally, and the Covid pandemic has added to that.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
Can't assume that her death had anything to do with sports. From that standpoint, it looks like she was a good player having a good year. The last couple of weekends, up through her last game on Sunday, she was tearing it up at the plate. Can't make any assumptions, period.
Don’t believe anyone said it had to do with softball. Just life in general for a college student athlete and making sure all aspects in life are healthy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom