I've often wondered if College Coaches care about team jumpers....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
I'm happy to hear this! I always suspected that it didn't matter but after seeing that message I began to wonder. Good feedback!

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
I always find it interesting to see committed players / nationally ranked players move teams from year to year. It’s like musical chairs. My first instinct is to think what they weren’t happy about more so than what is better at the new team. Maybe some coaches view these changes the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How about this twist~
The more coaches a player has the more knowledge they can obtain?

Ohhh but wait,
Not all coaches have knowledge that would be valuable or new to the player.
Not all coaches are coaches with any real resume.
Sooo....
How many teams might it take to find a real coach with good knowledge?
Also,
It does happen that players grow beyond a coaches potential.
Coaches who dont grow their own knowledge, and dont have a grasp on the next level.
While the player outside the team has instructors and goes to camp/clinic/workshops.
Team may not improve as much as a player can individually.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
I spend a great deal of my time hiring at many levels, entry to mid level leaders and I do ask a ton about career journey. Most people can walk you through moves they make and in most cases they make sense. But someone with 4 jobs in 4 years is a red flag.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I spend a great deal of my time hiring at many levels, entry to mid level leaders and I do ask a ton about career journey. Most people can walk you through moves they make and in most cases they make sense. But someone with 4 jobs in 4 years is a red flag.
Hmmm compairibly,
Dont think 4 teams in 4 years is bad or cause for red flag.
Simply too many variables in t.b.
Plus. One you pay for and the other pays you.

Its certainly a good thing when a team can stay together and keep growing!

Nov 4, 2015
Circumstances make things look different than they often times are. My daughter is on her 5th team in 6 years. She has been playing with the same group of 5-6 girls the last few years, but because of the whole team not being the same birth year, they are constantly needing more players. Sometimes you find the girls needed and other times, you have to go to another org. It's a very difficult thing to navigate.

Jan 28, 2017
A friend of mine had a college coach ask why his DD had moved around. D3 school that is based more on academics and character than ability. They offered anyway. It could have been just conversation but the dad took it as questioning.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Saw this posted on Twitter.
I understand the need at times to leave...but now it's confirmed that college coaches see it too. If I was a college coach I would imagine a kid staying with a program for several years (while getting better) is more attractive than a team hopper, especially since adversity increases as the player gets to college and the portal is an option.

Never saw a college coach that cared or asked. Doesn't mean there isn't any, but the vast majority as far as I have seen doesn't care all that much.

One coach posted this. That is not a pattern or a trend. You will also see they didn't say they wouldn't recruit the kid - they just asked why.

And the fact they don't know why is actually more of a concern to me. Shows they totally don't understand the environment they are recruiting out of (one driven by college coach behavior).

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA

But jobs don't have age limits. DD was on a team that decided to stay down at 14U but with a September birthday, she was forced to find a new team and move up to 16U. And you wouldn't hold it against an applicant whose company went bust, would you? Travel softball changes so frequently that sometimes the hopping is not by choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802