I've never played softball, but I want to coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I coached lots of that age group. You will win the league if you do these simple things:
1) right away, identify who can catch and put them on 1B
2) practice running 5-10 feet past 1B (you'll win your first 3-4 games this way)
3) DO NOT teach any bug squishing, hands to the ball, or door knocking knuckle nonsense
4) For hitting, as they stride, get them to pull their back elbow back like a bow, and end up with the bat head pointed up at toe touch (do not worry where their hands are in the stance, it makes little difference)
5) Make sure the tee is at their front foot, not centered in front of them at their belt - and make sure the ball height is set about 8 inches below their chin (appr ht of elbows) - not down at their belt level.
6) For throwing, most kids that age dont raise their glove elbow as they throw. This causes range and direction problems. Have them all raise their glove elbow as they throw. Then, the elbows should rotate around together.
7) Run efficient practices. Never have kids standing around, ever. Setup 3-5 stations so they can be hitting, running, throwing at all times. End the practice with base running - focus on 1B, then make sure they aren't running past bases.
8) Hand out a game ball after every game, until every kid has one. Have coaches and kids sign it.
9) Don't talk too long to the kids or parents. Get to the point, short and sweet.
10) Finally, get a good Team Mom/Dad/Unisex and do good snacks.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I coached lots of that age group. You will win the league if you do these simple things:
1) right away, identify who can catch and put them on 1B
2) practice running 5-10 feet past 1B (you'll win your first 3-4 games this way)
3) DO NOT teach any bug squishing, hands to the ball, or door knocking knuckle nonsense
4) For hitting, as they stride, get them to pull their back elbow back like a bow, and end up with the bat head pointed up at toe touch (do not worry where their hands are in the stance, it makes little difference)
5) Make sure the tee is at their front foot, not centered in front of them at their belt - and make sure the ball is set abt 8 inches below their chin - not down at their belt level.
6) For throwing, most kids that age dont raise their glove elbow as they throw. This causes range and direction problems. Have them all raise their glove elbow as they throw. Then, the elbows should rotate around together.

SPOT ON!!!...Especially #1 and #2

A couple other tips for the road ahead...
- When you get to the point of players pitching, a slower pitcher that can consistently throw pitches in the strike zone will be way more effective than a faster pitcher with control issues. Walks are a slow and painful death at the rec level.
- Don't "hide" a weaker IF at 2B. Put a good glove/good arm player there. You want to get every out you can from your 2B player, and sometimes that means making a hard throw after recovering from not fielding the ball cleanly (refer back to the importance of #1 above).
- At the younger ages (8U, possibly 10U) making the throw from 3B to 1B for an out is very rare. More often, the ball gets thrown away, and you end up giving up a lot of bases/runs. You will minimize the damage significantly by having your 3B field the ball and toss it back to the pitcher.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right forum.

As the title says, I've never really played softball. I only know the very basics of it from watching friends/family play. However, my daughter loved playing in the 5U and I'm hooked on it after talking to some moms/coaches/players. I think this would be a great skill/confidence booster for my daughter, and I want to dive right in. I want to be able to start at least assistant coaching her teams moving forward. However, I'm clueless on where to start. Obviously, learning more about the game of softball, but what's the best ways to go about this? And then after that where do I go? I am completely lost and looking for any and all help or advice.

Thank you!
5U - be prepared for a lot of laughs - kids are awesome

Attachments

• Reminders from your child.jpg
    Reminders from your child.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 9
  • Look at my dad.jpg
    Look at my dad.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 9

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Have fun and ignore the guys who sit behind the OF fence..they think they know everything.
:) Have fun and go bug the guys who sit behind the OF fence...they may have a 'wise'enheimer suggestion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22