I've never played softball, but I want to coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is where most of us started. When I realized the HC of my DD's team had no clue and only paid attention to his bratty twins, that was the time I knew I would volunteer to be HC the following year. We won the rec league championship tourney! I was kind of a big deal. I then went on to continue to coach more red teams, all star teams and TB teams. DD is now in college...now I coach from the stands every weekend.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right forum.

As the title says, I've never really played softball. I only know the very basics of it from watching friends/family play. However, my daughter loved playing in the 5U and I'm hooked on it after talking to some moms/coaches/players. I think this would be a great skill/confidence booster for my daughter, and I want to dive right in. I want to be able to start at least assistant coaching her teams moving forward. However, I'm clueless on where to start. Obviously, learning more about the game of softball, but what's the best ways to go about this? And then after that where do I go? I am completely lost and looking for any and all help or advice.

Thank you!
Good for you seeking knowledge! Best way to grow forward!
Enjoy the journey!

Feb 27, 2019
Look for clinics/camps to attend both for coaches and for players. Most local colleges that have softball will advertise these on their own websites. it's a fund raiser for them and a chance for players or coaches at coaches clinics to learn. I would attend with my daughter and ask if I could watch and ask questions while they did drills to understand them, I was never turned down. There are also some softball clinics on youtube you can watch as well. I would second finding an established coach to ask for guidance. Search for local travel teams to find coaches, explain yourself and ask if you can watch practice.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My question was unanswered which is fine.

DD trying to get into college needed to do community service, sounds bad when I am typing it she would do it regardless.

Try to leverage your HS Teams and local college Teams. It is a win win.

Might be my DD but I told her something for a couple years, HS player came to practice and DD said this makes sense. Urrr

May 24, 2013
So Cal
No problem with learning the game along with your DD. I did. I grew up playing ice hockey, and racing bicycles. My involvement in baseball was just as a life-long fan of the Dodgers. When my DD started playing at 8yo, I knew little about the sport other than it was a lot like baseball. On her first team, I helped by being the scorekeeper, doing pre-game field prep, and helping out where I could at team practices. I watched, I listened, and I read a lot. At the end of her first season, I found this site, and my it changed my world. The volume of shared knowledge here - from people who have been involved at every level of the game - is just tremendous. In my DD's second season, I was a team AC. I continued as AC's of her teams as she grew from 10U rec ball, to 10U travel ball, and 12U travel ball. When she moved to a new team at 14U, the coaches were already in place, but it was the right time for me to pull back my involvement at that level. I've learned a ton, and continue to learn every day.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

As the title says, I've never really played softball. I only know the very basics of it from watching friends/family play. However, my daughter loved playing in the 5U and I'm hooked on it after talking to some moms/coaches/players. I think this would be a great skill/confidence booster for my daughter, and I want to dive right in. I want to be able to start at least assistant coaching her teams moving forward. However, I'm clueless on where to start. Obviously, learning more about the game of softball, but what's the best ways to go about this? And then after that where do I go? I am completely lost and looking for any and all help or advice.

Thank you!

Learn to coach. Coaching is not what they portray in movies and you are not Vince Lombardi. Coaching skills are different now. Positive Coaching Alliance is a good place to start: https://positivecoach.org/

Be organized. This is part of the above, but often not emphasized enough. Practice plans, goals, skills you want to work on, etc, etc... The best coaches do this well. You don't have massive amounts of time with the players so use it well.

Understand heirarchy. The best Head Coach is a benevolent dictator who make final decisions. The best Assistant Coaches are advisors and public supporters (even when you may disagree).

Research the skills and drills and so on;but you only have to stay in front of the kids you are coaching there so this is secondary. The content on this site will keep you there until 14u or longer. I am confident that I can coach pretty much any sport separate to the game itself to a reasonable level and give me a few weeks and I will be as good as most. Coaching is more about coaching than the actual game in a great deal of the role - you can learn the game.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And then after that where do I go? I am completely lost and looking for any and all help or advice.

Thank you!

Basically, you have to play pitch and catch with her every day. ==> EVERY DAY<==

Throw the ball back and forth for as long as she wants to. When she stops, bring out the batting tee and let her hit a ball off the tee for as long as she wants. (PRO TIP: She will want to hit more than throw the ball. So, always do pitch and catch first.) Pay attention and you'll see when she is done. When you do this, have fun. Laugh with her and talk and enjoy the experience.

Most people don't know how to hit. You will get terrible advice about hitting from almost everyone.

If you really want to make her a better hitter, post a video of her in the "PRACTICAL HITTING" part of the forum. You'll get some good, practical tips.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
No problem with learning the game along with your DD. I did. I grew up playing ice hockey, and racing bicycles. My involvement in baseball was just as a life-long fan of the Dodgers. When my DD started playing at 8yo, I knew little about the sport other than it was a lot like baseball. On her first team, I helped by being the scorekeeper, doing pre-game field prep, and helping out where I could at team practices. I watched, I listened, and I read a lot. At the end of her first season, I found this site, and my it changed my world. The volume of shared knowledge here - from people who have been involved at every level of the game - is just tremendous. In my DD's second season, I was a team AC. I continued as AC's of her teams as she grew from 10U rec ball, to 10U travel ball, and 12U travel ball. When she moved to a new team at 14U, the coaches were already in place, but it was the right time for me to pull back my involvement at that level. I've learned a ton, and continue to learn every day.
Other than the ice hockey part, you could have just about written this for me!

Dthuer, everyone of us had to start coaching at one time, jump right in and enjoy the ride! Don't do like me and overthink every little aspect of this game, just enjoy it, but know who it's really about.....your little girl and the rest of her teammates!

Also a little advice, being a AC is awesome, let the HC deal with all the parents, the drama, the headaches, the scheduling, the money, and every other "fun" part of being a Head Coach!

Jun 8, 2016
Have fun and ignore the guys who sit behind the OF fence..they think they know everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45