Its not the organization.... or it is?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
I found this site 5 years ago when I was looking for some answers about the whole travel softball experience. I received some great information so maybe its time to share some of what we learned. When DD was a first year 12 she was on a solid semi local travel team. It was a Utrip team that did only 1 overnight tournament and was coached by 4 dads. The head coach was a very positive coach who we all loved. At the end of the season we had fully expected to stay for the next season. However our HC sat the parents down at the end of the season and shared that he was quitting his job of 30 years and taking his life savings and opening up a craft brewery. We were shocked but happy for him and even though we thought he wouldn't make it a year in business it was bittersweet. Fast forward and he is opening up his second location as the first one is so busy it's hard to even get into the place. Great for him but he did tell me and DD that she had potential and we should find an organization that focused on pitcher development. We thought we found that for her second year of 12's but it didn't work out so after DD's second year of 12's we were on the hunt for a great organization for first year of 14s. After trying out and getting offers we finally found an organization that had an immense focus on developing pitchers, in fact many of the pitchers in this org went on to pitch successfully at the D1 level.

] This organization was a bit more expensive than the others and traveled more than the others but they had a strong culture of developing pitchers and that's what we wanted and needed. They held long and intense practices and expected more from DD than was ever expected from the other teams she had played for.

DD was an average pitcher and the org head said to me "if you give us a chance with her she will reach her full potential here". So we resisted the advice from others saying DD would never pitch on this team or never make the gold team in this organization.

On that first year 14 team we had 4 pitchers and in all honesty none of them were lights out DD included. We hit the road that fall and took some bad lumps and bumps. After fall we (parents on the team) were like what did we get ourselves into :) Then the winter work outs began and the progress started to happen. We had a .500 summer winning some we should have lost and losing some we should have won all against the best competition we could find on the east coast.

At the end of the year the assistant coach sat DD down and said "you can pitch D1 if you want but you you will need to bust your butt everyday and you'll need to develop a great change up". I rolled my eyes and thought "in your dreams"... But we stayed on for second year 14's.

Our team added a new pitcher (one of the original 4 decided to focus on IF). We hit the road that fall (2nd year 14) and again got clobbered. I will never forget playing Glory Atkins in Atlanta(video below) and watching as all of the SEC coaches set up chairs behind the backstop. That assistant who told DD to get a change up came over to me and said "see those coaches? They're not here for us, but today your DD will get better".

We got demolished, it was 17-1 before we could even catch our breath. DD went in the 4th inning and held her own but it was a severe mismatch. We came home deflated and a bit shell shocked. Again head of the org said "Don't sweat it, we will get your DD's where they need to be, but you need to trust the process, I've been doing this for 20 years". I felt better but added more each paycheck to my College fund for DD, as deep down I didn't believe him. Then another winter full of training and getting better and better. Intense focus on developing pitchers and hard work.
Fast forward to tonight and the final pitcher of the original 3 on that first team committed to her Dream School! All 3 of those then average pitchers from first year 14U are now committed to great D1 schools with excellent softball programs. I was thinking tonight about the 14-15 pitchers from 14u that we always saw each weekend locally. You know just like the group in your area that you see every weekend. Of that group only 2 others committed to a school (not that being committed is everything but I would imagine that all 15 may have had that aspiration). Both from different programs and our org has 3 committed that were on the same team. 10 of the total group either no longer pitches or plays. This is in no way a brag or a put down to any other program or the kids. Just an observation!

If you have a daughter that pitches and who is willing to give her all, my advice would be to find an organization that places a premium on pitcher development and has a track record of success at helping girls achieve their full potential. And don't forget the sacrifices you will make. Me and DD are hoping a plane tomorrow at sunrise to attend Rick's camp in Indiana. Never stop learning or working!

If you want to see a real beat down check out that game vs glory atkins below. DD enters the circle at the 54 minute mark. I promise she is better now LOL

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Thanks for sharing your story. My DD and I are right in the thick of it (1st year 14U) and will have to make some decisions soon about our current travel club. Inspiring to see what may be possible with hard work and a bit of luck.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I found this site 5 years ago when I was looking for some answers about the whole travel softball experience. I received some great information so maybe its time to share some of what we learned. When DD was a first year 12 she was on a solid semi local travel team. It was a Utrip team that did only 1 overnight tournament and was coached by 4 dads. The head coach was a very positive coach who we all loved. At the end of the season we had fully expected to stay for the next season. However our HC sat the parents down at the end of the season and shared that he was quitting his job of 30 years and taking his life savings and opening up a craft brewery. We were shocked but happy for him and even though he thought we wouldn't make it a year in business it was bittersweet. Fast forward and he is opening up his second location as the first one is so busy it's hard to even get into the place. Great for him but he did tell me and DD that she had potential and we should find an organization that focused on pitcher development. We thought we found that for her second year of 12's but it didn't work out so after DD's second year of 12's we were on the hunt for a great organization for first year of 14s. After trying out and getting offers we finally found an organization that had an immense focus on developing pitchers, in fact many of the pitchers in this org went on to pitch successfully at the D1 level.

] This organization was a bit more expensive than the others and traveled more than the others but they had a strong culture of developing pitchers and that's what we wanted and needed. They held long and intense practices and expected more from DD than was ever expected from the other teams she had played for.

DD was an average pitcher and the org head said to me "if you give us a chance with her she will reach her full potential here". So we resisted the advice from others saying DD would never pitch on this team or never make the gold team in this organization.

On that first year 14 team we had 4 pitchers and in all honesty none of them were lights out DD included. We hit the road that fall and took some bad lumps and bumps. After fall we (parents on the team) were like what did we get ourselves into :) Then the winter work outs began and the progress started to happen. We had a .500 summer winning some we should have lost and losing some we should have won all against the best competition we could find on the east coast.

At the end of the year the assistant coach sat DD down and said "you can pitch D1 if you want but you you will need to bust your butt everyday and you'll need to develop a great change up". I rolled my eyes and thought "in your dreams"... But we stayed on for second year 14's.

Our team added a new pitcher (one of the original 4 decided to focus on IF). We hit the road that fall (2nd year 14) and again got clobbered. I will never forget playing Glory Atkins in Atlanta(video below) and watching as all of the SEC coaches set up chairs behind the backstop. That assistant who told DD to get a change up came over to me and said "see those coaches? They're not here for us, but today your DD will get better".

We got demolished, it was 17-1 before we could even catch our breath. DD went in the 4th inning and held her own but it was a severe mismatch. We came home deflated and a bit shell shocked. Again head of the org said "Don't sweat it, we will get your DD's where they need to be, but you need to trust the process, I've been doing this for 20 years". I felt better but added more each paycheck to my College fund for DD, as deep down I didn't believe him. Then another winter full of training and getting better and better. Intense focus on developing pitchers and hard work.
Fast forward to tonight and the final pitcher of the original 3 on that first team committed to her Dream School! All 3 of those then average pitchers from first year 14U are now committed to great D1 schools with excellent softball programs. I was thinking tonight about the 14-15 pitchers from 14u that we always saw each weekend locally. You know just like the group in your area that you see every weekend. Of that group only 2 others committed to a school (not that being committed is everything but I would imagine that all 15 may have had that aspiration). Both from different programs and our org has 3 committed that were on the same team. 10 of the total group either no longer pitches or plays. This is in no way a brag or a put down to any other program or the kids. Just an observation!

If you have a daughter that pitches and who is willing to give her all, my advice would be to find an organization that places a premium on pitcher development and has a track record of success at helping girls achieve their full potential. And don't forget the sacrifices you will make. Me and DD are hoping a plane tomorrow at sunrise to attend Rick's camp in Indiana. Never stop learning or working!

If you want to see a real beat down check out that game vs glory atkins below. DD enters the circle at the 54 minute mark. I promise she is better now LOL

We stayed at the same Hotel with the PA Chaos team at TCS Nats in Atlanta last summer. Had some cocktails with the coaches a couple of evenings. And they ended up winning the whole thing! We had a girl on our team from Maryland that knew a few of the players. Small world!!!

ETA: That Adkins team was a pretty darn good team for the past two years. They graduated most of their players and aren't quite a strong this year. If it makes you feel any better, we beat them a couple of times but they clobbered us too!!!

Apr 28, 2014
We stayed at the same Hotel with the PA Chaos team at TCS Nats in Atlanta last summer. Had some cocktails with the coaches a couple of evenings. And they ended up winning the whole thing! We had a girl on our team from Maryland that knew a few of the players. Small world!!!

ETA: That Adkins team was a pretty darn good team for the past two years. They graduated most of their players and aren't quite a strong this year. If it makes you feel any better, we beat them a couple of times but they clobbered us too!!!
Thanks!
Thet were stacked. DD is now on the team you met in Atalanta.
Time flies can't believe how fast this ride goes.

Oct 29, 2018
This is a really great story. I love that you are talking about ramping up the development around 14u and not for example going full out 1st year 12u and burning out.

A few questions

Are only the pitchers from your team committed to schools?

How much did academics factor into the college admissions in your opinion?

Thanks for sharing.

Mar 28, 2014
I found this site 5 years ago when I was looking for some answers about the whole travel softball experience. I received some great information so maybe its time to share some of what we learned. When DD was a first year 12 she was on a solid semi local travel team. It was a Utrip team that did only 1 overnight tournament and was coached by 4 dads. The head coach was a very positive coach who we all loved. At the end of the season we had fully expected to stay for the next season. However our HC sat the parents down at the end of the season and shared that he was quitting his job of 30 years and taking his life savings and opening up a craft brewery. We were shocked but happy for him and even though he thought we wouldn't make it a year in business it was bittersweet. Fast forward and he is opening up his second location as the first one is so busy it's hard to even get into the place. Great for him but he did tell me and DD that she had potential and we should find an organization that focused on pitcher development. We thought we found that for her second year of 12's but it didn't work out so after DD's second year of 12's we were on the hunt for a great organization for first year of 14s. After trying out and getting offers we finally found an organization that had an immense focus on developing pitchers, in fact many of the pitchers in this org went on to pitch successfully at the D1 level.

Great post. You say "find an organization that focused on pitcher development". Define such an animal. What does your org do to better develop pitchers than other orgs?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ

Congrats to your DD.

DD's last team had a few games against the Chaos team that had the pitcher that went to Oregon. It was a rock solid team. Glad DD's team was able to give them a game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802