It must be Jerk Week

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
You know how The Discovery Channel has Shark Week? For the fastpitch softball world this must be Jerk Week. On Sunday I heard yet another story of someone who just doesn't get it.

A former student of mine, a girl named Kaity, is helping coach the varsity team at a local high school in an economically disadvantaged area. It's a small pocket of poverty in an otherwise middle class area. Of course, in an area like that, things like travel ball (or possibly even rec ball) are non-existent. None of the girls there can afford the private instruction, high-level play, or even decent equipment in a lot of cases that every other high school in the conference has. Some in abundance.

Kaity told me last week she went to the athletic director at the school and asked for some money to purchase a few Easton Incrediballs the girls could use for indoor practice. She especially wanted them for the girls who have volunteered to learn how to pitch in the next three weeks. Yes, that's right. A few girls are going to spend three weeks trying to learn to chuck the ball toward the plate so the team can play at the varsity level.

In any case, she said the athletic director's response was, "Win a game first. Then you can ask for equipment." What an incredibly insensitive, shortsighted and unrealistic statement. In other words, the statement of a jerk. I'm sorry, but there's no way this team is going to win a game, particularly in conference. They'd have trouble beating most 12U teams in my area, and that's no exaggeration. Expecting them to beat even an average HS varsity team is beyond unrealistic. It's moronic.

The AD should be happy that they are fielding a team at all. In this area, if they can get 12 girls on the team, that's 12 girls who have something to do besides fall in with a bad crowd, take drugs, get pregnant, or suffer other consequences. I've seen them play, and while they're awful from year to year, the girls who are there always seem to be glad to have the opportunity to play. For many, it's their first team sport ever. Why would you not want to try to give them at least some chance of improving?

Fortunately, Fred Popp at Grand Slam USA in Spring Grove is a great guy. He heard the story and donated five balls for them to use. (The fact that Kaity used to take lessons from me there when she was in high school certainly helped, but Fred's just that kind of guy.) He did what the AD should've done.

Kaity and the head coach will be doing their best, but it's an uphill battle to say the least. You'd think your AD would offer support instead of put-downs. But apparently that's too much to ask.

As I said, it seems like it's Jerk Week.

More...

May 12, 2008
Glad they got some help. I've seen teams like that. My thought was I'd look for kids who could fly and try to play a speed game. Raise some havoc and have a little fun even if my pitching couldn't keep us in the game.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
The newspapers and local news

love this type of story! Have Kaity get some pub. and people will rally to her aid. If they play it right that should get all sorts of stuff donated to them, from local or chain sporting goods stores looking for something positive in this economy. The AD is not only a jerk but probably could be investigated for not giving the girl's their equal share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802