It finally happened

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2021
After several years of trying to break DD of turning her hand horizontal to catch a ball it finally happened. She missed a catch to the edge of her glove and took one to the mouth. Surprisingly still hasn’t fixed the issue

Jan 27, 2021
Either would be appropriate. Many tears and a wild heater directed at me shortly followed. We get it fixed for very very very short periods of time. And then she relaxes and goes back to the bad habit. I have been telling her endlessly someday she’s gonna lose teeth because of it. I’m just glad it didn’t come to that.

Nov 18, 2015
Sympathies for the pain as well.

But I'm trying to get most of my team (12U) to do what your daughter is doing - turn the glove more sideways to catch the ball. They (almost) all have the elbow pinned to their side, limiting their range, almost giving them T-Rex arms.

I've found it's also not a very strong position to catch the ball - lot's of glove twisting, glove wiggling, from the force of the ball hitting the mitt. This happens on even the not-that-strong throws.

Thinking about it - maybe I don't want horizontal - I think I'm aiming for 45 degs away from their body. I'm assuming your daughter's forearm is 0 degs (flat / parallel).

Oct 26, 2019

But I'm trying to get most of my team (12U) to do what your daughter is doing - turn the glove more sideways to catch the ball. They (almost) all have the elbow pinned to their side, limiting their range, almost giving them T-Rex arms.

I've found it's also not a very strong position to catch the ball - lot's of glove twisting, glove wiggling, from the force of the ball hitting the mitt. This happens on even the not-that-strong throws.

Thinking about it - maybe I don't want horizontal - I think I'm aiming for 45 degs away from their body. I'm assuming your daughter's forearm is 0 degs (flat / parallel).
I feel like the bad habit of how girls catch starts when they are younger and they try to move out of the way while also catching the ball. I have several girls that if you throw it directly at them will sidestep to the left and almost backhand it.

Jan 27, 2021

A 45 deg would be welcome. She does this thing where she ends up rolling her entire arm over. She starts out at 90, ball grown immediately moves to 0 and if it’s right at her does this wrist roll thing like she was backhanding the catch. It’s flipin weird.

I asked her tonight while we were playing catch if that hurt her elbow. Of course she said yes lol. She wore her face mask for catch too (dork) but glad she did. She did that same thing and took one to what should have been her right eye. That one did something because we did start to make progress

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802