It’s never too late

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I’m hoping this is the right spot for this post. If not I’ll delete and re-post in the correct forum.

I’ve mentioned this before that I had been learning to pitch over the past year and a half. Mainly so I could better understand the mechanics to help DD at home. Safe to say what you see versus what she feels can be two entirely different things.

DD encouraged me to keep getting better and join a Men’s league. Today was my first time, with her PC, getting a one on one lesson. I had been pocketing the instruction she was getting and using it at home.

PC was great and now I’ve got some homework. Maybe when I don’t feel so self-conscious I’ll post some videos for critiquing.

Point being.....it’s never too late to be uncomfortable and learn new things. I’m not “old” but at 36 I suspect deciding to learn to pitch is probably a little late in the game

The truly great part is it allows DD and I to have a true 2-way conversation when she’s practicing. We talk mechanics, feels, and even the mental side. There have even been things she’s offered that have helped me. It’s been a lot of fun and I wanted to share.

Looking forward to being a nervous wreck in a few months once season (hopefully) starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
I’m hoping this is the right spot for this post. If not I’ll delete and re-post in the correct forum.

I’ve mentioned this before that I had been learning to pitch over the past year and a half. Mainly so I could better understand the mechanics to help DD at home. Safe to say what “you” see versus what “she” feels can be two entirely different things.

DD encouraged me to keep getting better and join a Men’s league. Today was my first time, with her PC, getting a one on one lesson. I had been pocketing the instruction she was getting and using it at home.

PC was great and now I’ve got some homework. Maybe when I don’t feel so self-conscious I’ll post some videos for critiquing.

Point being.....it’s never too late to be uncomfortable and learn new things. I’m not “old” but at 36 I suspect deciding to learn to pitch is probably a little late in the game

The truly great part is it allows DD and I to have a true 2-way conversation when she’s practicing. We talk mechanics, feels, and even the mental side. There have even been things she’s offered that have helped me. It’s been a lot of fun and I wanted to share.

Looking forward to being a nervous wreck in a few months once season (hopefully) starts.

I can see that being a great advantage when teaching. I’ve been “learning” to pitch a little myself. Mostly the release so I know what she is feeling as well.
It’s been beneficial for sure.

Aug 1, 2019
MN

I’ve mentioned this before that I had been learning to pitch over the past year and a half. Mainly so I could better understand the mechanics to help DD at home. Safe to say what you see versus what she feels can be two entirely different things.

You're not alone, I started practicing IR last winter at age 49. Just me, a squishy softball, and a block wall in a gym. I wish I had recorded some of it because I had plenty of throws that were comically bad. But following the progression that Boardmember outlined and watching coaches teach at a Pauly clinic, video would have shown the improvement and that this stuff works. I have no aspirations to compete, but it does help with instruction. I'd recommend pitching parents at least learn IR enough to play underhand catch with their DDs.
Good luck with your progress!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Any dads that are doing this are free to send me video of THEMSELVES not their kid for an "analysis". I know some are even taking their own "lessons" from their DD's coach, but you're welcome to send me a video for FREE analysis.

bill@houseofpitching.com

Greatly appreciate the offer!

I’ll also clarify that DD’s PC did not charge me. And I was willing to pay. I had been sending him some videos and asked that if/whenever he had a spot he knew he wouldn’t fill if I could get a one on one. I wasn’t willing to ask for a time slot if it would take away from a pitcher. So he made time for me early this AM before he started seeing his other pitchers. I can’t speak highly enough of him.

Aug 21, 2008
I'm glad he didn't charge you. My offer still stands if you want the "fresh set of eyes" type thing.
Where are you located?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I'm glad he didn't charge you. My offer still stands if you want the "fresh set of eyes" type thing.
Where are you located?

Oh for sure I’ll take you up on it. I’m always open to extra sets of eyes for feedback.

I’m just outside Springfield, MO.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Here are a couple pitches from maybe a month ago. We still had some nice weather down here. These are all before I saw DD's PC, so there are some things he's already having me work on that have helped tremendously.

Edit: I will add I do know that I don't have to drag the back foot for Men's fastpitch. But, in the mindset of learning to aid DD at home, I've been learning mechanics under her "rules".

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
You're not alone, I started practicing IR last winter at age 49. Just me, a squishy softball, and a block wall in a gym. I wish I had recorded some of it because I had plenty of throws that were comically bad. But following the progression that Boardmember outlined and watching coaches teach at a Pauly clinic, video would have shown the improvement and that this stuff works. I have no aspirations to compete, but it does help with instruction. I'd recommend pitching parents at least learn IR enough to play underhand catch with their DDs.
Good luck with your progress!

When I first started I distinctly remember thinking that I could throw more accurately left handed. It felt so unnatural. I agree that pitching parents learning enough to play underhand catch is great. When DD is struggling to want to practice I'll just make it us playing underhand catch for 30min - 45min. She still gets to work on arm circle, whip, release, staying square....etc etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802