Is youth fitness a problem?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They say that 1 young american out 4 is overweight. We all know that because technologies (TV, computers, video games), kids move less and less.

Do you find that your young softball players are not fit enough?

The good thing is that they play a sport but do you find that their fitness level could be better and is an overall reflection of the society?

Or is it actually pretty good compare to the rest of society?

What are your thoughts and your experiences on that topic?

Marc

May 9, 2008
Fitness

I deal with several FP teams on a daily basis through Little League. Even with it being LL where we accept all players, I would say that for the most part they are not overweight. I would say that in our program we have about 90% of our players are not overweight.

May 7, 2008
I have two kids involved in multiple sports and fastpitch softball FAR and AWAY has the largest proportion of out-of-shape kids!

We see girls every weekend that are significantly over weight. Very rare to see in other sports. I think it's shameful.

Keith

May 7, 2008
Marc, I think this is a great topic to which I will add the need for adequate sleep. It is challenging for them to come in at 10:00 at night off of a win, to the showers, and bed. Their adrenaline is usually high. They've played three or four games and have two or three the next day...first game, sometimes begins at 8:30 a.m. (depending on wins/losses) and must be there at 7:45 a.m. The distance of the ballpark determines what time they must get up and going. Sport nutrition is a great topic, and I would love to discover more recipes and great snack ideas. What are the best choices to feed an athlete before competition, in between games, etc. What is the best breakfast to get the body moving and ready for performance? I am fortunate that my children love milk. I have heard that pro trainers require three glasses of milk per day, but I know some children who hate dairy or have an intolerance to dairy products. Warm milk contains tryptophan which helps the body relax. The following recipe is mixed and heated (can substitute with artificial sweetener)...great before bed.

1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

There is a fortune waiting for someone who establishes a concession stand selling smoothies, fruit, and other healthy choices. We have become a drive-thru society. I took flack for joining Weight Watchers with nine pounds to lose. For me, it wasn't about the pounds but the doctor's concern about my blood pressure, family history, and cholesterol numbers. Sadly, we evaluate weight at the cost of nutrition. It takes effort and costs more to eat healthy. I am not looking to ban concession stands, but I would like to see healthier choices and hope that the foods weighty in grease are not reflective of overall diet. The other threads talk much about "strength and endurance," and diet is as important as any other drill.

Obesity in young people is Shaquille O'Neal's crusade (and a good one), see the following article.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6422409.stm

I am fortunate to be in a neighborhood with another family of three who believe in outside activity...stick ball, street hockey, four square, jumprobe, etc. (and we live in suburbia). Electronic games are acceptable in moderation, but not on a beautiful 65 degree, sunny day :) I am grateful this is not problematic in my children. Now, fighting over who is sitting in what seat...problematic.

My dd's school now follows the block system. Physical education every other week. I don't mean this in a judgmental way, but parent's have to assume the responsibility for their children's consumption of food, encouragement of activity, and asserting the effort to say no when yes is easier.

"Example is contagious behavior." - Charles Reade

Ang

May 7, 2008
DFW
Marc

Without a doubt. Must say most of my students are not. Some of them still have baby fat but that goes away with puberty in most athletic kids based on my experience.

Elliott.

May 7, 2008
Elliot.

I see different sizes out there. Even in College Ball, there were some big girls. I am going beyond size to try to discover what types of food will help in their performance.

Ang

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Softball is one sport where size doesn't matter that much. You can find a role for each type of player.

However, I think we can use softball to help kids learn how to be more active while practicing a sport they enjoy and teach them about good nutrition and the importance of moving.

Marc

May 13, 2008
Benton City, WA
My husband and I were just talking about this over the weekend. Most of our team just seemed to be wiped out including our dd. We want to start giving her high energy foods all the time to keep her strong and not as sluggish. Any suggestions on recipies would be greatly appreciated. Also what fresh fruits tend to help. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802