Is yelling really benificial?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
Does yelling at kids help them understand better, or is it an outlet for a coaches lack of knowledge and coaching ability. I have only coached for 5 years currently at the 10-u level, and I don't believe in yelling (yet). I feel if a kid is not understanding I might need to change how I deliver the message, or they may just never get it. What is your worst coach yelling story? And in what situation is raising your voice helpful?

Thanks,
Mike

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Raising your voice to show passion about what you are doing is one thing. Raising your voice to criticize a player is another. Yes, I have yelled when I was coaching, but never in anger at one of my players. (On the other hand, I had no trouble benching my best player if she messed up a play. You really don't have to say a lot if you are willing to sit them on the bench.)

I did not raise my voice, but I did use an expletive during the game. We were playing in the championship game of a tournament for a bid to the nationals, it was the 7th inning, we were comfortably ahead, and suddenly they forgot the *fundamentals of fielding*. It was like the entire infield went brain dead at the same time. I was livid.

So, I got the whole team together on the mound (including outfielders) and said something like, "Pull your heads out of your a***s, and lets get this over with.") Suddenly, everyone remembered "butt down, head down, two hands", and two batters later we were going to nationals.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
For girls under 12, I sometimes have to raise my voice to be heard.
If they are losing focus or getting too silly they need to be reigned-in.
It's not out of anger, it's yelling to be heard across the abyss of inattention.

I know some guys who are ridiculous. Scream all the time. Their teams never achieve their full potential.

Oct 8, 2008
Long Island, NY
1st of all I would never yell or shout at any individual player.

My thoughts are: If I have to yell to be heard then they weren’t listening. I used to be a fiery coach. I found out that this worked for some, but for others I was scaring them half to death. I’ve since changed my approach and have tried to be more consistent with my demeanor. This allows my team to know what to expect in terms of stability from their coach.

This approach also gives my shouting more credibility if and when I do decide to blow my top :eek:.

I also try and stress we are all in it together we win and sometime even lose but we do it as a team.

Sep 18, 2008
I've coached only a couple girls who reacted to yelling. They were only that way because their parents yelled at them all the time. In the long run it's no way to act.

Assuming you keep some players year after year you are much better teaching in a respectful manner. Everyone gets used to learning that way and it's much more enjoyable and productive.

Being loud is another thing. I like to be loud in a fun and encouraging way. The team reacts well to that. They want to know the coach cares about what they are doing. They also get instant feedback when they do things right.

I have coached all age groups baseball tee ball to Babe Ruth level, along with fastpitch 8-U coach pitch to 14-U ( currently with travel ball). I have only raised my voice twice that I can recall and that was with the whole team. My perspective on this subject is the kids are more retentive on learning with a calm coach than one who yells. They tend to sut out the yelling coach and not pay attention, When I calmly instruct them they seem to grasp what I am teaching better.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I did yell at an individual player once and regretted it severely. Never again.

Generally speaking, yelling at my team is not my preferred style of coaching. But sometimes, if the focus isn't there, it can be an effective attention-getter. We won a tournament this past year after I chewed the entire team out following a stupid loss in game one. (Their parents felt it was about time I did it because it wasn't the first time we'd lost a game we should've won due to lack of focus.)

It's like NYLadyCobras says -- it makes a good change of pace. It also depends how old your players are. The kids I chewed out were 16U. I would not take the same approach to 10U or 12U players.

Dec 27, 2008
Goleta, CA
I have been coaching my daughters team the last 3 years (she just turned 11), and I always have had a great way of handling her teammates and bringing out solid play and learning through the season. At least that is what their parents have always told me. But when it comes to my daughter, I grow horns and yell at her quite a bit, but she has always responded with elevated play. I coached my son up to the high school level and did the same thing with him, and he responded the same way.

I am starting to try to reign in my style of coaching my daughter these days, for fear of her turning on me as she gets closer to her teen years. she has been the #1 pitcher on 2 straight 10U Nationals qualifying teams in our local softball league, so maybe my style works for her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802