Is winning important at young age?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I not sure what "life lessons" you are learning when you go 3-17. I don't care if you are showcase team that went 3-17. You aren't doing it right.

One thing I have always found interesting is how many players played their whole careers and never won anything of substance. It happens more than you think. I guess they made it to college though and it's ironic when their college team stinks as well. I guess it was worth it....

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I not sure what "life lessons" you are learning when you go 3-17. I don't care if you are showcase team that went 3-17. You aren't doing it right.

One thing I have always found interesting is how many players played their whole careers and never won anything of substance. It happens more than you think. I guess they made it to college though and it's ironic when their college team stinks as well. I guess it was worth it....

Winning percentage was something we wrestled with as coaches. Some of our worst experiences were playing in tournaments when we were clearly the best team and there was no competition. Yes, we won. But it really wasn't any fun. At least not to me. And yes, going 0-4 and driving home at 9:30 on a Sunday morning isn't much fun either. We made it a point to challenge our teams while still playing against comparable competition. We kept track of our winning percentage and adjusted each season, and sometimes in the middle of a season. We typically started with a list of tournaments we wanted to play in, but then would replace one or two with more difficult tournaments if we felt we were capable. Our personal goal was to have a winning percentage between 60 and 70% each year. If we were much below that or above that, we felt as though we did it wrong.

I remember one time at 14u we won the championship at consecutive tournaments. We felt they were competitive tournaments so we were pleased with the results. Unfortunately some of our parents started to get cocky about it. In order to test our team, we entered a much more difficult tournament. We went 1-2 on Saturday, then 1-1 on Sunday. Personally I was more proud of the team that weekend because we were clearly over our heads. The reaction from those same parents was priceless.

Mar 10, 2020
Having been on winning teams in sports. There were more times when the coaches criticism came after a win.
The only way losing matters is if it matters more to win.
Losing doesnt teach anything more.

Sep 21, 2020
Is this new coach any good? What kind of practice does he run? At that age the difference between 3-17 and 10-10 is sometimes just one good pitcher...
I remember your comment when i decided to join the team. They might only need one good pitcher and things will go differently.
you absolutely right! We end up join that team. she going as number 1 .We had a very successful summer. ( winning 3 respectful tournaments). and be able to recruit some talented to join the team later that fall.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I remember your comment when i decided to join the team. They might only need one good pitcher and things will go differently.
you absolutely right! We end up join that team. she going as number 1 .We had a very successful summer. ( winning 3 respectful tournaments). and be able to recruit so talented to join the team later that fall.
I am not as stupid as I look (which isn't saying much because I look pretty stupid...)

Sep 21, 2020
Winning is not important at 12U, except to the parents and player. More important is to go to a team where you will play and develop; good competition is a bonus.

As others have pointed out, your DD's pitching could make a 3-17 team 17-3 especially as a second year pitcher.

Does the coach of the new team have a solid reputation? How are the team dynamics? Ask to talk to a parent or two. If the team sticks together for the next season after a 3-17 season, that is a very good sign. How many girls are returning?

It sounds like you and your DD are ultimately going to have to join the 2+ hour away team, if she is already good enough to play on the PGF-level team at 10U. So the question is when to make that jump?

Right now, you have time. Whatever you decide it will be the right thing. For now.
But be sure to stay in touch with that other team. You're going to need them!

Congrats!
We end up joined 3-17 team. They going strong in the summer. Winning 3 respectful tournaments.
Kids want to stay in the team . but we have to cut some because there’s many talented show up at the try out after successfully summer.

We told the coach we will stay another season if he play more PGF. (Good thing i don’t need to drive 2 hours to other team). we won our first PGF in fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23