Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Is winning important at young age?

May 17, 2012
I not sure what "life lessons" you are learning when you go 3-17. I don't care if you are showcase team that went 3-17. You aren't doing it right.

One thing I have always found interesting is how many players played their whole careers and never won anything of substance. It happens more than you think. I guess they made it to college though and it's ironic when their college team stinks as well. I guess it was worth it....

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I not sure what "life lessons" you are learning when you go 3-17. I don't care if you are showcase team that went 3-17. You aren't doing it right.

One thing I have always found interesting is how many players played their whole careers and never won anything of substance. It happens more than you think. I guess they made it to college though and it's ironic when their college team stinks as well. I guess it was worth it....
Winning percentage was something we wrestled with as coaches. Some of our worst experiences were playing in tournaments when we were clearly the best team and there was no competition. Yes, we won. But it really wasn't any fun. At least not to me. And yes, going 0-4 and driving home at 9:30 on a Sunday morning isn't much fun either. We made it a point to challenge our teams while still playing against comparable competition. We kept track of our winning percentage and adjusted each season, and sometimes in the middle of a season. We typically started with a list of tournaments we wanted to play in, but then would replace one or two with more difficult tournaments if we felt we were capable. Our personal goal was to have a winning percentage between 60 and 70% each year. If we were much below that or above that, we felt as though we did it wrong.

I remember one time at 14u we won the championship at consecutive tournaments. We felt they were competitive tournaments so we were pleased with the results. Unfortunately some of our parents started to get cocky about it. In order to test our team, we entered a much more difficult tournament. We went 1-2 on Saturday, then 1-1 on Sunday. Personally I was more proud of the team that weekend because we were clearly over our heads. The reaction from those same parents was priceless.

Mar 10, 2020
Having been on winning teams in sports. There were more times when the coaches criticism came after a win.
The only way losing matters is if it matters more to win.
Losing doesnt teach anything more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnaD01