Is Travel Ball the best way?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2017
My daughter will be a junior in Sept. but stopped playing travel at the end of the season last summer.

I was always realistic about possible recruitment—-D1 was never even a consideration, but I did think think with a lot of work a JUCO or maybe even D3 was possible. This is no longer my DD’s goal or desire.

I doubt that the majority of HS’s alone will help recruitment. However paying top $ for a TB team doesn’t guarantee squat either. If you have a $ and a dream, someone will always be happy to take that $. Softball is big business for some folks.

If a family has tens of thousands of dollars on hand, I never understood dumping that on TB when it could have went directly to school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2019
Didn't she just start playing for a new team?
She did. Last years 14U team moved up to 18U. Only 3 tournies. So we supplemented with a 14U team. Only 3 tournies with them due to conflicts with 18U team. So really more guesting than anything. She really likes her team on the 14U but not the best team/coaches around.
The 18U team which was a very good 14U team last season will not be together next year.
The HC’s daughter will be/is playing for the best showcase 18U team we have in our state. She is a yr older than my daughter.
They have a very good 16U team as well but it’s just too far for us to travel.
Unfortunately for us we have closer options in other states. Very good team in RI but they seem to be all about the money. Many girls go on to play D-1 but very expensive. Much closer/more convenient drive. They have the 14U National team my DD asked me about along with several others.
It looks like they are starting a new Northeast team that’s separate from their other teams. Not sure what it’s all about but I will know more tomorrow.
My DD plays basketball & volleyball as well not to mention Drama class and other activities. Just not sure she has the time to dedicate to a top notch team/organization and keep her grades up as well.
I really just want her to play Spring/Summer ball and practice in the Winter. Not interested in Fall and Winter ball at this point.

Jun 8, 2016
She did. Last years 14U team moved up to 18U. Only 3 tournies. So we supplemented with a 14U team. Only 3 tournies with them due to conflicts with 18U team. So really more guesting than anything. She really likes her team on the 14U but not the best team/coaches around.
The 18U team which was a very good 14U team last season will not be together next year.
The HC’s daughter will be/is playing for the best showcase 18U team we have in our state. She is a yr older than my daughter.
They have a very good 16U team as well but it’s just too far for us to travel.
Unfortunately for us we have closer options in other states. Very good team in RI but they seem to be all about the money. Many girls go on to play D-1 but very expensive. Much closer/more convenient drive. They have the 14U National team my DD asked me about along with several others.
It looks like they are starting a new Northeast team that’s separate from their other teams. Not sure what it’s all about but I will know more tomorrow.
My DD plays basketball & volleyball as well not to mention Drama class and other activities. Just not sure she has the time to dedicate to a top notch team/organization and keep her grades up as well.
I really just want her to play Spring/Summer ball and practice in the Winter. Not interested in Fall and Winter ball at this point.
No offense, and I am from MA so I know the struggles of trying to compete nationally in a Northeast state, but are there really any "National" teams in New England?

Jun 11, 2012
Looks like you are in my neck of the woods. My DD and most of her former teammates didn’t want to leave the NorthEast for college so she played for a very well respected team that is significantly less expensive but doesn’t travel nationally.
Before you sign up for a super expensive National team give some serious though to where your DD sees herself going to college. If it’s somewhere within a few hours of home you might be better of with a regional team

Apr 28, 2019
No offense, and I am from MA so I know the struggles of trying to compete nationally in a Northeast state, but are there really any "National" teams in New England?
Yes. RI Thunder Gold. CT Charmers are the best Showcase team in CT. There are other teams that have recently started National teams as well.
I have recently seen two parents who started their own organizations step away from them to join other organizations with more experience getting players placed in D-1 schools. Both their girls are definitely D-1 talent.

Apr 28, 2019
Looks like you are in my neck of the woods. My DD and most of her former teammates didn’t want to leave the NorthEast for college so she played for a very well respected team that is significantly less expensive but doesn’t travel nationally.
Before you sign up for a super expensive National team give some serious though to where your DD sees herself going to college. If it’s somewhere within a few hours of home you might be better of with a regional team
My DD much to my Chagrin wants to go to Florida. I’m trying for UConn or Penn State. Maybe North Carolina.

Jun 11, 2012
My DD much to my Chagrin wants to go to Florida. I’m trying for UConn or Penn State. Maybe North Carolina.
At that age my DD wanted to go far away also, by sophomore year she decided she wanted to be much closer to home and ultimately chose a school she loves and playing softball is a bonus. She’s 40 minutes away, close enough for me to go to every game but far enough away that I’m not in her face.

Apr 28, 2019
At that age my DD wanted to go far away also, by sophomore year she decided she wanted to be much closer to home and ultimately chose a school she loves and playing softball is a bonus. She’s 40 minutes away, close enough for me to go to every game but far enough away that I’m not in her face.
Nice. I’m sure it works/worked out well for both of you.

Apr 28, 2019
Don’t sell New England short Pattar. UMass has produced some good players and been competitive Nationally in the past. Danielle Henderson played at UMass and won Gold at the Olympics as well as playing professionally. BU beat Oklahoma in a game last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12