Is this TTB mechanics?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
no deterrent... 😆 just leveling is all.

The ‘turning’ of the barrel is the spine setting the swing plane. The arms/hands intent of their path preconceives the spines duties.

The whip you seek is found in the cores ability to load and unload reactively. While the upper loads and unloads after the core in sequence. Anchor the swing through the backside and learn sequence.

Not sure what you mean by no deterrent.

Understood on the 'turning' of the barrel and the spine.

The 'whip' in my understanding is after the hand/torso engine has 'turned' the barrel (with lag) on plane and is 'released' to the ball.

I am just trying to figure out ways to give my DD a cue for the 'connection' of the hand/torso. I am actually now telling her that the hands cannot get behind the torso/shoulder otherwise it causes casting and arm bar. Also in my head i am thinking of a Bregman quote where he keeps his hands moving across his torso. I think that cue will help keep the hands connected and not drag behind.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

The 'whip' in my understanding is after the hand/torso engine has 'turned' the barrel (with lag) on plane and is 'released' to the ball.

I am just trying to figure out ways to give my DD a cue for the 'connection' of the hand/torso. I am actually now telling her that the hands cannot get behind the torso/shoulder otherwise it causes casting and arm bar. Also in my head i am thinking of a Bregman quote where he keeps his hands moving across his torso. I think that cue will help keep the hands connected and not drag behind.

The ‘deterrent’ thing was for someone else. I don’t believe in 2 engines, only 1. If that’s how you see it, disregard anything I have said about turning the barrel. I teach a different pattern. Good luck. Hope you figure it out.

Jul 29, 2013
giphy.gif

Do you consider this TTB from the start? Most clips shown of TTB the hitter has the hands at the back shoulder, only not all hitters have the hands at the back shoulder. So would you consider this style TTB from the start or is there a delay built in?
Turning the barrel is turning the part of the bat that is facing the catcher toward the ball. Most effective way is to turn the bat around the rear forearm (forearm as axis)

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The ‘deterrent’ thing was for someone else. I don’t believe in 2 engines, only 1. If that’s how you see it, disregard anything I have said about turning the barrel. I teach a different pattern. Good luck. Hope you figure it out.

This may not be a popular stance among many on this forum, but I tend to 'get' or understand you WW more than others. I think so many people are trying to say the same thing but the 'technical' gets too many people up at arms worrying about definitions. I think many of the discussions should happen in the 'practical' forum to be better for people like me.

I think i also believe in only 1 engine, i just call it the torso engine. I don't think the barrel is 'turned' in that i don't believe the hands forcefully torque the handle down. I feel it is the reaction to good connection (not leaving the hands or barrel behind) and the 'torso engine' setting up the hands on the plane to the ball allowing the hands to 'release' from connection and 'whip' to the ball. The load is idling and nudging to the starting tree of a drag race, and the 'GO' is the Green Light what i call the 'torso engine' connected to all the parts that are on board and hopefully in the right position and direction at 'GO'. else you slam your car into the rails.

Practically speaking, the 'feels' that MLB players talk about are making more sense to me, but what they 'technically' do is different than what is described by most. Some players have a better knack of the technical description i feel, but some like ARod only knows how to talk in 'feels'.

So for the original post, i would say that this batter is still 'turning the barrel' (due to the natural reaction of the swing after 'GO') however he is less 'connected' to the torso engine in that his hands are farther back towards the catcher at 'GO'. Or maybe the same connection, just a different hand starting position relative to the torso. Seems a little longer of a swing, but perhaps more powerful due to more leverage maybe? But i would think a less efficient swing. Looks like the batter is also leveling a bit before 'GO'. IMO

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

try this cue :

Not so much the mechanical stuff. More about the arms feeling limp until the torso starts loading them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28