Is this TTB mechanics?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Do you consider this TTB from the start? Most clips shown of TTB the hitter has the hands at the back shoulder, only not all hitters have the hands at the back shoulder. So would you consider this style TTB from the start or is there a delay built in?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Olson has a unique stance/swing. I can't think of any successful hitter who starts with his arms extended over the plate the way he does (and this was a change made in the high minors that has helped him, though I don't know specifically what the change fixed).

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Olson isn't the first I've seen start with the hands toward the plate and won't be the last. Perhaps, he is extreme. Hitters who do this bring the hands inward toward the body. That wasn't the part I was talking about when I said he has the hands away from his body. I was talking about the hands being behind or farther back toward the catcher.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I wouldn't consider this true TTB.

usually, I look for the barrel tip to start turning, with hands as the pivot point and hands not yet driving forward.
Hard to make a true TTB move with lead arm so far extended rearward, IMO.

This hitter lets the barrel "fall" as his elbow slots, but he isn't TTB.
The barrell path is forward/downward, and head is not in the hitting plane early, as true TTB results.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I wouldn't consider this true TTB.

usually, I look for the barrel tip to start turning, with hands as the pivot point and hands not yet driving forward.
Hard to make a true TTB move with lead arm so far extended rearward, IMO.

This hitter lets the barrel "fall" as his elbow slots, but he isn't TTB.
The barrell path is forward/downward, and head is not in the hitting plane early, as true TTB results.

Would you say he is pulling the barrel into the swing?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Is this not the same thing as a neck slot swing (ala George Brett) just a little farther away from the shoulder?

I think once you move the rotational point/hands farther back, as in this swing, you change the TTB mechanics.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
So is TTB a concept where there has to be a tight HPP essentially locked to the torso so that as Big Poppy said, that he keeps his hands close to the body, and the turning of the torso and hands as one unit pulls the barrel around? Knowing that this cannot be accomplished without a proper tilt to the ball so the pulling is at least initially aimed to get on the correct plane?

With the tilt and a tight HPP, i really dont think there is much movement of the hands (since they are 'locked' in the same relative position to the torso) until they are released from the torso at whatever direction to get to the pitch. I think this is called connection.

So top hand torque to me is more of a resistance, or locking in of the hands in the same orientation so they aren't left behind by the torso engine. They then are along for the ride if rigid to the torso. If i think of this in relation to TM and torquing the hands back, it seems there would be less of that torque motion and more of an aggressive hold tight rigid feel until release.

If you dont have this 'TTB' close to the torso as i have described, are you just casting? Or can you have a rigid hand set farther away from the torso and still achieve TTB as long as hands aren't being left behind when the torso engine fires?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So is TTB a concept where there has to be a tight HPP essentially locked to the torso so that as Big Poppy said, that he keeps his hands close to the body, and the turning of the torso and hands as one unit pulls the barrel around? Knowing that this cannot be accomplished without a proper tilt to the ball so the pulling is at least initially aimed to get on the correct plane?

With the tilt and a tight HPP, i really dont think there is much movement of the hands (since they are 'locked' in the same relative position to the torso) until they are released from the torso at whatever direction to get to the pitch. I think this is called connection.

So top hand torque to me is more of a resistance, or locking in of the hands in the same orientation so they aren't left behind by the torso engine. They then are along for the ride if rigid to the torso. If i think of this in relation to TM and torquing the hands back, it seems there would be less of that torque motion and more of an aggressive hold tight rigid feel until release.

If you dont have this 'TTB' close to the torso as i have described, are you just casting? Or can you have a rigid hand set farther away from the torso and still achieve TTB as long as hands aren't being left behind when the torso engine fires?

no deterrent... 😆 just leveling is all.

The ‘turning’ of the barrel is the spine setting the swing plane. The arms/hands intent of their path preconceives the spines duties.

The whip you seek is found in the cores ability to load and unload reactively. While the upper loads and unloads after the core in sequence. Anchor the swing through the backside and learn sequence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2