Is this the end? or a new beginning?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so I figured the parent section would be best. Ultimately, I am writing it from the viewpoint of a parent. And my current struggle is as a parent, so here goes.

As some of you know, my DD currently pitches at the college level. She is starting her sophomore year. A few years ago she injured her shoulder. She didn't miss much time due to the injury, at least initially. But shortly after the injury, she started having other issues. Medial epicondylitis, biceps tendinitis, rotator cuff syndrome, etc. After dealing with on/off issues for nearly three years, we decided to take her for an MRI. While inconclusive, her doctor believes she has a small tear in her labrum. The initial recommendation was PT and a cortisone shot. After just having her third cortisone shot, it is clear that the issue is not improving so she has decided to schedule surgery. This will be arthroscopic surgery. We won't know for sure what is wrong until they are inside, and really won't know the recovery time until then either. Best estimates right now are that she will miss between 6 and 9 months of action. So she is out for the 2020 season. She has decided to remain with the team and is motivated to return to action next fall.

I will do my best to update this thread as we travel this new journey. Maybe our experience will be able to help someone else out there. As a dad, I am definitely concerned about this. At 19, she shouldn't need to deal with something like this, but I know she is not alone. There are many athletes out there that have had similar issues.

May 6, 2015
bummer, hope it goes well, and they find something (so you know, not knowing a cause is the worst), but that it is treatable and has a quick recovery,

Apr 16, 2013
Definitely keep your journey updated here. Those of us that are praying folk can continue to keep her in our prayers. As far as surgery and PT goes, I've seen several times where a baseball pitcher has gone under the knife, they come back stronger after the PT. No idea if that'll be the same for softball, but hopefully it is!

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Hate to hear that and our thoughts and prayers are with her.
Lets hope they find no labrum tear and if so a very very small one.

I have seen 2 girls leave college ball because of this. Very sad.

Shoulders are tough when injured...and you can get all kinds of compensation and other problems that hide the main injury. If you hurt a shoulder...have them mri now...not later. JMO

May 6, 2015
Hate to hear that and our thoughts and prayers are with her.
Lets hope they find no labrum tear and if so a very very small one.

I have seen 2 girls leave college ball because of this. Very sad.

Shoulders are tough when injured...and you can get all kinds of compensation and other problems that hide the main injury. If you hurt a shoulder...have them mri now...not later. JMO

I agree, shoulders are tough, pretty much destroyed mine in my mispent youth, really biting me in the rear now (and I had a great surgeon, and a great PT, just the nature of shoulders).

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Sorry to hear FP, here's to a speedy and full recovery! And yes, please keep us posted..........and to you and the DW, keep your heads up and just be proud your DD busted her butt to fulfill her dream of getting to and playing at the college level! It ain't easy!

May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Sorry to hear about your DD's shoulder injury...

My daughter (pitcher/1B) just hung up her college cleats this spring due to chronic pain in her elbow.

We tried everything to help her elbow... w/o success 😟

Trying to play in pain for the past 2 years... and only playing 5 inning in 2018-2019... she decided to move on and focus on school...

It was a tough decision.

However... she has been accepted into a local college's Nursing Program - another "life adventure" has begun!

@FP26 We are praying for a successful surgery and speedy recovery for your DD.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802