Is this obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Well, I wouldn't call obstruction unless something actually happens, like if the catcher throws the ball to 3B and runner gets tagged out. I wouldn't award home, but she wouldn't be out. I'd also give the 3B a warning about it, and if she did it after that, I'd toss her for unsporting behavior.

Oct 11, 2018
Well, I wouldn't call obstruction unless something actually happens, like if the catcher throws the ball to 3B and runner gets tagged out. I wouldn't award home, but she wouldn't be out. I'd also give the 3B a warning about it, and if she did it after that, I'd toss her for unsporting behavior.
There's no requirement for the ball to be thrown or for a tag to call obstruction. We call obstruction before the out and if an out occurs we kill the play. I wouldn't wait till after the out to retroactively call the obstruction.

Apr 20, 2015
This would not fly with my kid. She would jab step right through that glove

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2015
Runner on third standing between 3rd and home. Catcher has the ball after the pitch. 3rd baseman puts her gloved hand right in front of runner's eyes, with glove open toward catcher but blocking runner's view. 3rd baseman did that until our runner went back to 3rd. Is this obstruction?

This happened every time our runner is on 3rd base trying to run home. Our girls are very good in reading the situation, but this 3rd baseman kept putting her gloved hand right in our runner's view. I never saw this before, so I'm wondering if this was an automatic obstruction.
It's not obstruction until it is. Makes sense right? If there is no play to obstruct there isn't likely to be any call and probably shouldn't be any call. Either way, I think the way to combat it is have the runner break for home right through the arm/glove when the catcher stands up to throw back to the pitcher. Make sure to make an exaggerated, James Harden type of flop when the contact occurs. You can definitely make the argument that it was a delayed steal and she was obstructed. Might not be awarded home, but they would likely tire of it after a couple of times.

Oct 11, 2018
It's not obstruction until it is. If there is no play to obstruct there isn't likely to be any call and probably shouldn't be any call.
Don't need a play to have obstruction. Runner impeded whether being played on or not, it is obstruction

Nov 18, 2013
Lol...what age group is this?

Contact isn't necessary to impede a runner. If it's not obstruction, it seems very close. If the runner moving toward Home was hit in the face by the 3B's empty glove, that should certainly be enough. At a minimum, that bush-league move should draw a "WTF are you doing" question from the umpire along with a warning to stop it.

It always amuses me when girls do stuff to each other that would quickly bring two guys to blows.
Or at least the pitcher would nail the 3B her next AB. Part of the game after all. Mention a girl beaning a player though and people freak.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
These type of defensive maneuvers are what bring out 'offensive' repercussions ;).

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Don't know about other orgs, but USSSA definition of Obstruction is:

"OBSTRUCTION. Obstruction is the act of a defensive team member which hinders a runner or changes the pattern of play or when a catcher or fielder hinders a batter unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or making an initial play on a batted ball. The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal."

It uses the words "hinder" and "changes the pattern of play" which I would say is a much wider scope. It seems pretty loose and open to wide interpretation, but I think a case for "hindering" the runners by blocking her view and forcing her to change her "pattern of play" could be made. If respectfully presented to an ump in those words, you might have a 50/50 chance of at least a warning.

Jul 22, 2015
Don't need a play to have obstruction. Runner impeded whether being played on or not, it is obstruction
You're absolutely right. But, in this case I think it's also correct that you would very rarely get a call without making some type of attempt to advance or at least show that you would have made some attempt if you hadn't been obstructed. Speaking for myself, I would not call obstruction if the runner is moving back towards 3B as the possible obstruction occurs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28