Is this new Demarini bat cracked or "scratched"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Bought a new, in the wrapper Demarini CF4 Insane. In one of first uses, against live pitching, regular ball, 60 degree day, DD's bat had "this" happen to it. It also sounded funny after this.

demarini.jpg

I say "this" because Demarini called it a scratch. I sent it in for replacement, it seemed like a clear crack to me, and not one of those spider-looking cracks all composites get. Bu Demarini said it wasn't structural.

Before I get back on the phone with them, looking for opinions, experience, help, advice.

TKS.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Looks like a crack to me... I'd call again and raise heck. How would a bat get "scratched" like that and you not know? If the bat was scratched to that extent, it would have had to have been very, very deliberate or occurred in shipping.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Looks like a deep scratch, but it sure is straight, I'm still thinking how that could happen. Hard to tell without seeing/hearing the tone change at impact.

One thing I have noticed about RT's, they seem to get hotter with a few dent's and scratches. Problem is once the dents get too profound they won't pass the pregame inspection. ( the collar won't slide )

Jan 24, 2011
Probably just a scratch. I had something similar with a Louisville Slugger composite bat that I was sure was a crack. Sent it in. They said it was just a scratch and not structural. My DD used the bat for another 6 months or so (she outgrew it) with no problems at all.

Sep 17, 2009
Cyclone, that was my experience with the manufacturer just now....hate to think DD would be swinging a bat with anything less that maximum pop in it : >

We're going to hit with it tonight, I'll see how it sounds. I'll hit some self-toss with a few bats and DD will use it.

Just strange to get a clean "scratch" or "crack" like that so fast...

Jan 24, 2011
Understood. I had the same concerns. The "scratch" we got came on the very first swing. No idea how it happened. But , it didnt seem to affect the performance.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Looks more like a scratch than a crack. My only experience with
cracks came from a different mfg and the crack was straight and ran lengthwise
up the barrel

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I think it looks like a crack in the paint job. A crack in the composite will usually run with the weave of the fibers. Not always up and down the bat, but the crack will be straight. Usually you can see broken fibers.

I would guess her only concern would be an umpires inspection.