is this legal, is it proper?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2019
You've umpired how long? : ) What happens when the intervening umpire is incorrect? And that better view from 80' away is a PT Barnum sell. When it comes to rule applications, the coach has a tool for that. BTW, how has replay helped professional sports especially when they still get it wrong
That's the attitude I'm talking about. If you see something you know is blatantly wrong it's ok to just not say a word because it's not your call? I mean you don't need to nit pick bang bang plays but if say a player screens the field ump and you from home can clearly see a ball hit the turf before a catch. You can stomach just standing there when the field up buys the fielders I caught it sell. There's a reason you see a ref call his officials together at a football game, he asking them what each saw. To make sure the call is as correct as possible. Never said I umpired just basketball and football. Replay is good and bad, I think it's been good in baseball though, NCAA football is a better system than the NFL. Like it or not MLB is already way down the road if A.I. calling balls and strikes. Like I said to me getting the call right is of the utmost importance, no matter how that happens.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
That's the attitude I'm talking about. If you see something you know is blatantly wrong it's ok to just not say a word because it's not your call? I mean you don't need to nit pick bang bang plays but if say a player screens the field ump and you from home can clearly see a ball hit the turf before a catch. You can stomach just standing there when the field up buys the fielders I caught it sell.

Yes I am OK because there is a process to get the call right so I don't have to stomach it. If I see it from 100' away, then so did other people. It isn't hard to get it correct. Coach comes out, calling official comes to me for more info, right call gets made if I have info to suggest the call he initially made was wrng because he didn't have the information I have.

You don't want the non-calling official in softball (or baseball) calling plays from out of position and a long way away. Because they are exactly that - out of position, often looking at secondary plays/performing other responsibilities/etc. That is how the mechanics are designed - mainly because there is clear places calls are going to be made (i.e. bases) which are far apart and often not near the ball. If I made a call of any kind that isn't BY DESIGN mine, it spirals out of control fast because now everyone wants two opinions on every close call and if there are runners on, I am not going to be ball focused.

It differs from your football example because in football mechanics there is regularly multiple officials responsible for and looking at the same play and action and ALL calls go through the head official who is responsible for the final call made.

It isn't really that different - I am sure the back judge isn't the primary official for making a call on a play 50 yards down field either. You also have between 5 and 7 officials in football so there is more eyes. Softball there is 2 most of the time.

Replay is good and bad, I think it's been good in baseball though, NCAA football is a better system than the NFL. Like it or not MLB is already way down the road if A.I. calling balls and strikes.

Replay is done well in some sports -and terrible in others. The NFL is just horrible. I don't know what they are thinking but they get it ALL wrong.

Like I said to me getting the call right is of the utmost importance, no matter how that happens.

And nothing is stopping that happening in softball. The mechanics are in place to ensure that the best call possible is made.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478