Is this interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2016
Runner at 3rd. Batter hits a ball that is popped up in the air down the 3rd base line but in foul ground.
3rd baseman who would have had a good chance at catching the ball but runs in to the runner going back to 3rd.
Is this interference?

Jun 22, 2008
Runner at 3rd. Batter hits a ball that is popped up in the air down the 3rd base line but in foul ground.
3rd baseman who would have had a good chance at catching the ball but runs in to the runner going back to 3rd.
Is this interference?

If the umpire judged the fielder had a reasonable chance to field the ball, yes.

What ruleset? USA rules if the ball was catchable with normal effort both the runner committing interference is out as well as the batter.

Jun 22, 2008
Nfhs would be a dead ball interference call, runner out, strike added to batters count assuming less than 2 strikes.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Jul 2, 2013
Nfhs would be a dead ball interference call, runner out, strike added to batters count assuming less than 2 strikes.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

What if the pop fly is caught? Would then the runner and batter both be out?

Jul 2, 2013
Interference is an immediate dead ball, nothing can happen after it is called.

Except in USA as you mentioned above? I would assume that would qualify for the rule you cited there?

One last question on this. What if infield fly is called and the baserunner leaves the base and runs into the defensive player attempting to make the catch? Would the runner or the batter be out? Or both?

Aug 25, 2019
Except in USA as you mentioned above? I would assume that would qualify for the rule you cited there?

One last question on this. What if infield fly is called and the baserunner leaves the base and runs into the defensive player attempting to make the catch? Would the runner or the batter be out? Or both?
Well, the batter would be out on the infield fly call, and the runner would be out on interference, since the fielder still has the right to catch the ball.

Jun 11, 2013
Well, the batter would be out on the infield fly call, and the runner would be out on interference, since the fielder still has the right to catch the ball.
Not infield fly rule unless others were on base but it doesn't say that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad