Is this hitters elbow stuck/stalled? Why or why not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I have heard about elbow stall. It has been a concern with my kids swings. Is this hitters elbow stuck/stalled? Why or why not?

x76H0p.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have heard about elbow stall. It has been a concern with my kids swings. Is this hitters elbow stuck/stalled? Why or why not?

x76H0p.gif

Elbow stall/stalled can be because of pitch location, inside pitch. Hitter needs to in order to hit the inside pitch.
Trout_side_noext.gif

Elbow stall/stalled on every pitch is probably because a hitter doesn't know how to extend their arms/hands barrel.
Elbow stall/stalled is a result of a hitter hitting 'around their body' and not 'out from'. JMHO.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014

x76H0p.gif

My DD does it on just about every swing. I have tons of clips to demonstrate it. Rear view is the easiest to see it. Here is just one of many.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
afex5h.gif

She has no sense of 'throw' from the left side. She instead pins her rear upper arm to her side and attaches it to her torso's rotation.
Swinging 'around' and not 'out from'. No extension.

Sep 29, 2014
Use the pause feature and stop just before toe touch. Her back is to the pitcher and her front shoulder is pointing to foul territory down 3B line, this a waaaaay to much turn if she was actually facing a pitcher she would have a hard time keeping her eyes on the release point. I think this will actually help a little bit as well since given her big turn she is also now forced to drag the bat through the zone. Also look at he front arm it should never be pulled so far back behind the back shoulder. I think this is the most telling point in her swing that you if you can get right you will see other things fall into place. Afterwards you can start on the balance at finish but again I think so much of her issue is the extreme turn at the beginning without having to unwind all that her balance issue might go away too. As a practical exercise she should try and make sure the pitcher can't read the numbers on her back.

Again just one guys opinion but it looks like the reason she is swinging around is because of how far she turns at the begining

Looking at the Trout swing I think you can see it is a function of pitch location and not his natural swing.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2011
It's hard to tell, but could the problem be her front elbow looks like it pins against her body That forces her to rotate to pull the bat through, rather than swing the bat through?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101