Is this Elite Coaching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
We're playing a league double header last night and had a coach that was really doing his darndest to get a coach of the year award.

Early in the first game our pitcher is hit square in the stomach with a line drive, ball doubles her over but is trapped between glove and body for a few seconds, Umpire calls out on catch (3rd out of inning). We head to the mound to check on our pitcher who is laying on the ground while the opposing coach starts chewing on the umpire about how she dropped the ball.

Second game fly ball to Left Center runner on 3rd no outs, F7 catches ball and throws home to get the tagging runner. F2 catches ball, turns to tag causing a collision that somehow the catcher took the worst of. Ump calls time, we go to check on our down catcher and opposing coach is chewing umpire about catcher obstructing the basepath despite the fact that the catcher didn't block the basepath until she turned with the caught ball.

Late second game, which isn't closely contested, ball to LF takes a wicked hop and pops F9 in the face and deflects 30 ft towards CF. F9 goes down, umpire calls time even though play is live. Opposing coach goes nuts about umpire not calling time during a live play. I thank Blue for putting player safety first and tell him I won't protest anything and to put runners wherever he judges they would have made it if he didn't call time which was R1 makes it home from 1st and Batter goes to third.

I understand wanting to win (although league games aren't suppossed to be as intense as elimination games) and probably could have overlooked any one instance as a poor reaction to a strange situation. Three times in one night to me is a pattern. Maybe I'm oversensitive. Maybe others feel that this is sign that a coach is working at an elite level.

May 29, 2009
Ball to LF pops F9 in the face...that IS a wicked hop ;). Sorry...couldn't resist. Sounds like a brutal game for your fielders. What age group was this? As far as the coach, well, he probably should have been making his points a little quieter so the injured players didn't need to hear.

May 12, 2008
First play with the liner in the gut is a judgement call. Umpire should shut him up about arguing judgement calls. Second call, again, strong ump deals with it firmly and quickly. Hurt kid in the outfield, he should have let them play imo till the action was over. She isn't going to get hurt any worse while the baserunners run. League ball is where you will often see fired up wannabe's though of course you will see the coaches who are everything they should be too. Lower level A ball harbors a bunch of these guys too. Game tends to weed out or educate most of them in time.

Jan 15, 2009
Ball to LF pops F9 in the face...that IS a wicked hop ;). Sorry...couldn't resist. Sounds like a brutal game for your fielders. What age group was this? As far as the coach, well, he probably should have been making his points a little quieter so the injured players didn't need to hear.

Sorry meant to say RF not LF. 14U Elite

May 7, 2008
Tucson
14U elite - play on, until the play is dead.

A coach could hold his runners, though, if the injury looks serious.

Would I come out screaming, if the ump stopped play? No.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802