is this believable

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
I don't know why he didn't protest to be honest. Maybe he wasn't being that adamant about the player and HC being tossed. The parents on the other side thought we were being petty since they were beating us (we're a 13U team playing a very very good 14U team).
cheaters always throw out crap like this when called on "let them play", "your just sore because were winning", etc.. we had a parent yelling "the bat is legal, let's play", like they were the end of the line on the legality of it. hate that, play by the rules, and no one will call you out for breaking the rules.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
cheaters always throw out crap like this when called on "let them play", "your just sore because were winning", etc.. we had a parent yelling "the bat is legal, let's play", like they were the end of the line on the legality of it. hate that, play by the rules, and no one will call you out for breaking the rules.

Its that way in every softball game...slowpitch as well. Call someone out for wrong equipment and its "your" fault for making
them play by the rules.

Oct 4, 2018
Last year as a coach, I contacted the TD via email to ask which Ghost bats were allowed. Never got a reply.

We had girls with both kinds, and I told them to use whatever they like since no one seemed to know. I had been watching other teams use both colors as well all season, so it seemed a safe assumption that both were allowed.

May 29, 2015
Last year as a coach, I contacted the TD via email to ask which Ghost bats were allowed. Never got a reply.

We had girls with both kinds, and I told them to use whatever they like since no one seemed to know. I had been watching other teams use both colors as well all season, so it seemed a safe assumption that both were allowed.

It isn’t rocket science. Especially the Ghost thing since they are two different colors.

You signed up for the tournament, you should know what sanction it is. If you are playing a USSSA tournament, your bats must have the USSSA “thumbprint” stamp. If you are playing a USA Softball tournament, your bats must have the accepted ASA stamps or the new USA stamp.

Coaches, when we ask you if your team is legally equipped, we aren’t asking because we like to see your heads bob up and down. I suggest you take a little time in advance and really know the answer to that. It’s not hard.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Coaches, when we ask you if your team is legally equipped, we aren’t asking because we like to see your heads bob up and down. I suggest you take a little time in advance and really know the answer to that. It’s not hard.

On the topic of coaches getting annoyed by things like having to know the rules-

We had the same 3 umpires in all 5 games we played yesterday (12u). It was some of the best umpiring I've personally ever been around (Saturday was a different story but there's a reason that crew wasn't calling games late in the tournament). One of them mentioned that this would be his 50th (and last) year to umpire and when we got him to talk about it some more, found out that some of his credits included umpiring Big 8 Baseball, etc. He knew every rule issue that came up and was able to explain things clearly to anyone who had questions (this shouldn't be exceptional but it really seems to be these days). What I thought was interesting about it was hearing coaches complain because he was "taking the rules thing a little too far" (he was enforcing equipment/safety rules, etc). Keep in mind that these are coaches who I regularly hear (as in, every single game) yell and complain about umpires who "don't even know all the rules".

May 6, 2015
I knew an umpire who a lot of coaches and parents got annoyed with cause he strictly enforced the equipment safety rules . we had many a good conversation, and he said he did that becuase he would rather have people annoyed with him than lose his house, IRA etc..

Oct 4, 2018
It isn’t rocket science. Especially the Ghost thing since they are two different colors.

You signed up for the tournament, you should know what sanction it is. If you are playing a USSSA tournament, your bats must have the USSSA “thumbprint” stamp. If you are playing a USA Softball tournament, your bats must have the accepted ASA stamps or the new USA stamp.

Agreed. Shouldn't be difficult.

I'm happy to show you the tournament sign-up web site and see if you can tell me what sanction it is. None of us can tell.

Hence my email to the Tournament Director. And perhaps, the reason for no reply...

Apr 28, 2019
that a HC would say that he did not know that the dark grey blue version of the Ghost was illegal, given how long these bats have been out there? one of our catchers noticed after a girl hit a 2 RBI bomb this weekend, when our coach protested / called it to Umps attention, first he tried to bring out a different bat, then when told which bat the girl had used, tried to argue for 15 minutes. how can any coach not know, his excuse apparently was "been using that bat in lots of tournaments, so did not think it was an issue"
Good coaches will know. Your average Dad coach should know but may be a little ignorant to specific bats. Maybe he was a relatively new coach?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802