is this believable

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If they play tournaments in multiple alphabet soup organizations it's possible it was an honest mistake. Of course ignorance of the rules set you are playing under in a given tournament is no an excuse nor should it relieve you of any penalties that you face because of it.

Apr 28, 2019
Last year as a coach, I contacted the TD via email to ask which Ghost bats were allowed. Never got a reply.

We had girls with both kinds, and I told them to use whatever they like since no one seemed to know. I had been watching other teams use both colors as well all season, so it seemed a safe assumption that both were allowed.
I’m not aware of any sanction that allows the 18 ASA Ghost and 19 USSSA Ghost to be used in same tournament. There may be one but I’m not aware of it. PGF maybe? We haven’t played that association yet so I haven’t bothered to check. I doubt they allow both Ghosts though.
19 Gold Ghost is Little League, and Utrip approved.
18 Blue Ghost is ASA, Middle School, High School, College, & International play.
Some of the other lesser associations like NSA ISF etc... also are specific on which Ghost you can use. We haven’t played those either so without looking them up don’t know specifics.
I’ve seen the Gold Ghost used for MS ball also but not sure it’s legal. No complaints so no issues.

May 29, 2015
Agreed. Shouldn't be difficult.

I'm happy to show you the tournament sign-up web site and see if you can tell me what sanction it is. None of us can tell.

Hence my email to the Tournament Director. And perhaps, the reason for no reply...

True uncdrew, and good point. If it is sanctioned, the sanctioning org will make sure their name is all over it (and their cut is paid for). 😋

I should have covered non-sanctioned tournaments. Sorry about that. This is one reason I typically will not work baseball in the summer around here. Last two tournaments I did were unsanctioned and they couldn’t agree on what rule set they were using.

May 29, 2015
I’m not aware of any sanction that allows the 18 ASA Ghost and 19 USSSA Ghost to be used in same tournament. There may be one but I’m not aware of it. PGF maybe? We haven’t played that association yet so I haven’t bothered to check. I doubt they allow both Ghosts though.
18 Blue Ghost is ASA, Middle School, High School, College, & International play.
Some of the other lesser associations like NSA ISF etc... also are specific on which Ghost you can use. We haven’t played those either so without looking them up don’t know specifics.
I’ve seen the Gold Ghost used for MS ball also but not sure it’s legal. No complaints so no issues.

PGF uses NFHS (school) rules, so only the ASA (blue) Ghost is legal.

If your MS is using NFHS rules (I won’t make that assumption), then the USSSA (gold) Ghost is NOT legal.

Jun 8, 2016
Keep in mind that these are coaches who I regularly hear (as in, every single game) yell and complain about umpires who "don't even know all the rules".
A lot of coaches seem to think they know all the rules yet cannot figure out how to position an IF/OF or when to bunt/steal/have a runner take an extra base... :rolleyes:

Top Gun allows both.

May 29, 2015
A lot of coaches seem to think they know all the rules yet cannot figure out how to position an IF/OF or when to bunt/steal/have a runner take an extra base... :rolleyes:

And yet, umpires don’t get to yell at them about it.

“Coach, what the #$@! were you thinking sending that runner? That was awful! You’re terrible, we ALL know Becky isn’t that fast! Go back to coaching soccer!”

“Unbelievable! Who would bunt in that situation!?”

“It’s obvious your lineup is terrible! Everybody in the ballpark can see your daughter can’t pitch and Suzy should be batting fourth!”

Oct 4, 2018
True uncdrew, and good point. If it is sanctioned, the sanctioning org will make sure their name is all over it (and their cut is paid for). 😋

I should have covered non-sanctioned tournaments. Sorry about that. This is one reason I typically will not work baseball in the summer around here. Last two tournaments I did were unsanctioned and they couldn’t agree on what rule set they were using.

Thanks to this discussion, I went and re-read their rules in the Word Doc they provide. Updates starting in Fall 2019 are highlighted:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee