Is this anything?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
I was umpiring a game today and after warm up pitches, the catcher throws down to 2nd, then she throws to the pitcher, while I called batter up, the pitcher threw the ball twice to the 1st base player. Would this be considered delay of game- ball on batter? I mentioned to the coach after third time she did it in 3rd inning, he said as long as I didn’t call play ball, it should be good. What say you? It was a jv game and it just struck me odd, never seen that before.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Odd for sure… you did say batter up I’m not sure you need to say “play ball” specially at high school level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I know we seldom carry stopwatches in HS ball. Were the throws to the bases within the pitcher's 1 minute? If they were and they were NOT pitches in excess of her allowable warm-ups, (which they obviously weren't) I do not think you have anything. The ball is dead until P, C, B and you are in position and you put the ball into play.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I wish I had known at the time to teach my pitching DD this. She had a tendency to occasionally overthrow 1st base on a grounder to her. Supposedly getting a couple practice overhand throws helps reduce this problem by breaking up the repetitive underhand throws.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
NFHS rules allow five warmup pitches in one minute. A pitcher throwing the ball around after their allotted warmup, especially after an umpire starts the clock on the batter by calling "batter up", looks like a ball on the batter.

USSSA is a bit more specific. It says five pitches OR throws...anything in excess is a ball on the batter.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi