Is this a viable method for catching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A month ago, we got a new catching coach. Our old coach made a move to become a head coach at a Division 2 school. This new coach came from coaching catchers at a Division 3 school outside of my home state.

So, the new coach is watching me work with our pitchers, working recieving, and throwing drills. She doesn't like my recieving method. I use a regular catcher's crouch for recieving, I drop to my knees to block, and I stand to throw the ball back to the pitcher or if I have to make a throw to a base to get a runner. The method has worked for me so far.

This morning, it's myself, another coach, and the new coach in the softball/baseball building and they're throwing balls at me. I'm catching them in my usual method. New coach tells me she would like to see me start recieving from my knees more. I'm already not a fan of recieving from my knee and being 5'2...I need all the height I can get.
I know from watching Jay at NECC, he's said about recieving from your crouch, block from your knees, and throw standing. Entering my seventh season playiing the position, what I've been doing hasn't steered me wrong.

Is recieving from your knees a viable method for catching? Would it be a good idea for me to at least try to get more comfortable doing it this way? Has the NECC changed to recieving from the knees?
How is your throwing from knees?
Same as feet? Or?

Btw i am 5'3 and a third 🙂

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thank you so much for this. It's not framing I'm concerned about since I became a good framer. It's being able to move, block, and accurately throw that concerns me. That and my lack of height.
I have read your posts about softball and you come across as an intelligent athlete. Use that intelligence!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My suggestion is to work at learning new techniques and approaches well enough to become competent with them. I look at it as adding tools to your toolbox. You might not always use all your tools, but you might find that you can do things better in certain situations than you could before because of a new tool you added.

For example, my DD prefers to throw from her feet. It's always been her default method. However, she has also done the work to get competent at throwing from her knees to all bases. She uses whatever is best for the game situation without having to think about it. She just reacts and uses the best tool for the job.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
I describe one knee down (KD) set ups to my catchers as a tool for their belt. Is there a time to use it, sure. Is it for everyone, no. KD set ups are the shiny new toy (at younger levels), and there are quite a few catching coaches out there who want to put everyone in the same mold and say "this is how you do it".

There is data out there, primarily from MLB, saying that it does help with receiving, especially the low pitch. I have some catchers who feel like they are more stable and it does help bring the low pitch up to the zone. Can you block and throw from a KD set up, yes. Does it take time and practice to learn to do it well, yes.

I would hope your coach wouldn't mind you asking why they want you using a KD set up. If they aren't able to explain to you why, and give you the coaching to train you to do it well, then I'd keep doing what you're doing for the moment. But don't be afraid to give it a shot and feel it out.

A month ago, we got a new catching coach. Our old coach made a move to become a head coach at a Division 2 school. This new coach came from coaching catchers at a Division 3 school outside of my home state.

So, the new coach is watching me work with our pitchers, working recieving, and throwing drills. She doesn't like my recieving method. I use a regular catcher's crouch for recieving, I drop to my knees to block, and I stand to throw the ball back to the pitcher or if I have to make a throw to a base to get a runner. The method has worked for me so far.

This morning, it's myself, another coach, and the new coach in the softball/baseball building and they're throwing balls at me. I'm catching them in my usual method. New coach tells me she would like to see me start recieving from my knees more. I'm already not a fan of recieving from my knee and being 5'2...I need all the height I can get.
I know from watching Jay at NECC, he's said about recieving from your crouch, block from your knees, and throw standing. Entering my seventh season playiing the position, what I've been doing hasn't steered me wrong.

Is recieving from your knees a viable method for catching? Would it be a good idea for me to at least try to get more comfortable doing it this way? Has the NECC changed to recieving from the knees?
Don't let your height stop you! My DD is also 5'2", catches from one knee most of the time. Especially when she's catching a drop ball pitcher. She blocks and snags nearly everything. She does every well, receives a lot of praise. I truly do believe it's a very viable method. BUT it is going to all come down to what you're most comfortable with. Check out Dominate the Dish on FB, and Instagram. She's my daughter's catching coach with lots of videos posted of one knee down and other stuff you might find resourceful.

Jun 20, 2015
understand on the low pitch and MLB. but a bunch of fastpitch catchers are for lack of a better term, little ladies. 5' 4", 125 lbs and there is no problem with them being small enough for the ump to see.

May 7, 2015
SoCal

I believe the art of catching is current changing and that KD catching will be the default in only a few years. That being said, I believe that a catcher should be taught to traditionally receive pitches in the crouch and to drop and block. When reliable competence is demonstrated, KD should then be learned.

In your case, as you're already playing in college, I'd think it would be good to learn the new style. It definitely presents lower pitches more favorably to the umpire.

Jun 27, 2018
My DD is currently playing in college, 5’8” 180 lbs. Not one coach has discussed the new style yet. I’m interested to see if it comes up over the off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 15, 2019

DD attended Jay's camp last year, and yes, one knee down was presented as an option for receiving but if there are runners on he prefers a traditional set up.

I ran across this interview with him:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28