Is this a Block or Fair Out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
To make sure I understand

If the UMP believe the catcher did not have Mal intent.....and the catcher had procession of the ball then its a fair play therefor the runner is out.

from my point of view it was amazing. I was like wow she got hit like a LB hitting a running back in the 2 gap

May 24, 2013
So Cal
To make sure I understand

If the UMP believe the catcher did not have Mal intent.....and the catcher had procession of the ball then its a fair play therefor the runner is out.

from my point of view it was amazing. I was like wow she got hit like a LB hitting a running back in the 2 gap

Correct.

Here's what it looks like when the runner has football intentions...and the catcher still wins...

May 16, 2012
Missouri
You cannot block the path to the base when you don't have possession of the ball. If you have possession of the ball, you can do whatever you want in order to tag the runner out. Is it wise to "truck" a runner? No. I wasn't there, so I don't know if the catcher is set up on the plate altering the runner's path the base. Sound like the C had enough to run at the base runner with possession of the ball. If that is the case, why not hold your place, letting the runner come at you and tag her "ole" style like a bull fighter? Then hold your glove up in the air showing the ump. That would have been the safe thing to do. But, I am only going by what you said.
You CAN block the path without the ball. You just can't impede or hinder the runner without first having possession of the ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You CAN block the path without the ball. You just can't impede or hinder the runner without first having possession of the ball.

Correct. There is no obstruction until the moment the runner is actually impeded. Where the runner might be in the future is not a consideration.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Terrible obstruction call here. Catcher was in
that spot the whole time.

f4e06c3f00656632e78544b5384d26bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Terrible obstruction call here. Catcher was in
that spot the whole time.

f4e06c3f00656632e78544b5384d26bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't tell from a single frame.....was the runner coming straight down the line from 3b? Had runner rounded third and needed to deviate towards the IF to avoid C?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Ok, I found the play, UTA v Texas bottom 3rd 0 out fly to LF. Throw on the tag-up. Catcher started out straddling the line (watch the replay @ 48:41 you can clearly see she had to move to the position you show in your freeze frame) It did cause the runner to have to shift to the IF side of the plate, close call, but certainly not "terrible" as you call it.

Edit, the announcers even comment that "she (the C) clearly got her body out of the way" which indicates it was IN the way at one point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28