Is this a Block or Fair Out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
My DD and I was watching a Rec 14U game last night. Here is the scenario

Batter up and a base runner on third. Batter hits to pitcher. Pitcher flips to catcher

Catcher turns and took the base runner out who was coming home from third like a linebacker

I mean she de-cleated the runner....both of the runner feet came off the ground and she was taken down. the Catcher maintain control of the ball the entire time.

The ump called the runner out

But the parents went crazy they said that was blocking the plate. The catcher did come up the base line as she went after the runner. To me it looked like an awesome collision where the catcher won -- Won Big Time

I can't find the rule I don't know if the ump wrong or right. It was an exciting play in my eyes

Does anyone know the rule?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
You cannot block the path to the base when you don't have possession of the ball. If you have possession of the ball, you can do whatever you want in order to tag the runner out. Is it wise to "truck" a runner? No. I wasn't there, so I don't know if the catcher is set up on the plate altering the runner's path the base. Sound like the C had enough to run at the base runner with possession of the ball. If that is the case, why not hold your place, letting the runner come at you and tag her "ole" style like a bull fighter? Then hold your glove up in the air showing the ump. That would have been the safe thing to do. But, I am only going by what you said.

Oct 11, 2018
With or without the ball you don't get to take down an opponent. Sounds catcher had the ball so out would stand but that would be the catcher's last play of the night, guaranteed!

Jun 22, 2008
You cannot block the path to the base when you don't have possession of the ball. If you have possession of the ball, you can do whatever you want in order to tag the runner out. Is it wise to "truck" a runner? No. I wasn't there, so I don't know if the catcher is set up on the plate altering the runner's path the base. Sound like the C had enough to run at the base runner with possession of the ball. If that is the case, why not hold your place, letting the runner come at you and tag her "ole" style like a bull fighter? Then hold your glove up in the air showing the ump. That would have been the safe thing to do. But, I am only going by what you said.
You are quoting an NCAA rule that has nothing to do with any other ruleset. The defensive players can be anywhere they like, but they cannot impede a base runner without possession of the ball or while I'm the act of fielding a batted ball. Unless the runner is impeded in some way, the catcher being up the line without the ball is nothing. As for the take down, without seeing it for myself I have no idea.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The defensive players can be anywhere they like, but they cannot impede a base runner without possession of the ball

or while I'm the act of fielding a batted ball. Unless the runner is impeded in some way, the catcher being up the line without the ball is nothing. As for the take down, without seeing it for myself I have no idea.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Thats pretty much the same thing orangesocks said.
A pretty standard impression simply said of the rule.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
really is a HTBT regarding if it was malicious or not. definitely runner is out, if you have the ball, you can block the basepath all day long.

in rec, once saw a catcher jump and dive at a batter/runner who was trying to get 1B via D3K. took her out pretty good. got a warning, but that was all, no intent to injure, she just knew she would not catch girl by running, and was too close to bag to toss the girl out.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Who ran into who? I have to assume the base runner was running and ran into the catcher who was holding her ground.

In cases like this (collision at the plate) it’s the runner that people usually have an issue with.

Having said that, I agree the catcher did nothing wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
There's a range of action there that, at its extremes, could get either the runner or catcher ejected. If the catcher is merely standing her ground, and the runner crashes into her, that could get the runner ejected. If the catcher charges up the line and, in the judgement of the umpire, maliciously contacts the runner, the catcher could be ejected. The second is more likely a "you have to be there" kind of thing. It does amaze, though, how girls will say and do things to each other that would quickly go to blows if the situation involved males. I could easily imagine an MLB catcher who charged up the 3B line to decleat a runner causing an on-field brawl that the National Guard would have to break up.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
To echo the other responses...If the catcher had possession of the ball before the progress of the runner was impeded, there is no obstruction, and the runner is out. Whether or not the catcher should be ejected due to malicious intent on the tag, that's not something we can judge without being there. Despite the name of the game, there are plenty of times it's not "soft".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802