is there anything wrong with a quick underhand toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
is there anything wrong with a quick underhand toss when the recipient is pretty close (say less than 6 ft).

12U, game this sunday, 2b field a grounder (probably 1B should have fielded it, but that is another discussion), was about 3-4 feet from 1B, did an underhand toss to 1B, was missed, cost an out and an extra base. granted, the toss was probably too hard for the distance, but overheard AC in dugout talking to two players involved, that they should never throw underhand, that they should do a dart throw instead.

I had always thought, depending on the situation, nothing wrong with quick underhand toss when very close to recipient, especially upon fielding a grounder (ie saves the time of coming up to throw). In fact, I had always taught DD (catcher), on PB, to do a quick underhand dart to P covering, as it saves time of bringinh ball up to throw.

interested to hear opinions.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
That's a silly thing to say, that they should never toss underhand.

If there was enough time to bring the ball up and dart toss it then she could have just stepped on first base from 3-4 feet away (that seems really close).

I always coach an underhand toss from inside 6 feet (maybe more depending on situation). As long as the girl is accurate I always prefer a firmer toss or throw as opposed to a lob.

Jun 12, 2015
Last year our team practiced it. 2B fields the ball close to 1B and flips to 1B. SS fields the ball close to 2B, flips to 2B. I have video of them pulling it off multiple times. I imagine practicing it is why. Otherwise it's probably hard to judge how hard to flip it under game pressure.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
An underhand flip - forehand and backhand - is not only the right choice for a lot of situations, but are also skills that need to be practiced regularly. Another good one to practice is tossing the ball with the glove. The more tools you can put in the tool box, the more options you have for doing the job effectively and efficiently. Encourage your players to develop more tools, not less.

Jun 8, 2016
Other than what is mentioned in the video, another key is to make sure to show the ball..too many kids underhand it by bringing it to the side and back and basically hide the ball from the person they are throwing it too. I would also probably position the person catching the ball differently in that drill since you very rarely will field it directly in front of the place you are throwing it (with the exception of corner IF on some bunt plays to home).

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
Another good one to practice is tossing the ball with the glove.
Lots of coaches do not like the glove flip. If you have time to flip it with the glove you have time to reach in there and grab it with your hand and flip it. Much more accurate with the hand.

Jun 8, 2016
Lots of coaches do not like the glove flip. If you have time to flip it with the glove you have time to reach in there and grab it with your hand and flip it. Much more accurate with the hand.

In some of these plays if the player had tried to throw it they wouldn't have gotten the out.

May 6, 2015

In some of these plays if the player had tried to throw it they wouldn't have gotten the out.

there is a time and place for it, but it is not always ideal. at least two of those, proper play was probably to barehand it. but it is appropariate sometimes.

Mar 28, 2014
If only girls had the skills of a MLB infielder. Wouldn't that be grand?

For pattar's sake (since it's apparently important to cover all the bases here and not assume that everyone knows travel ball girls aren't as good as MLB infielders), let me rephrase my statement.

UNLESS YOU ARE A MLB INFIELDER, if you have time to flip it with the glove you have time to reach in there and grab it with your hand and flip it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802