Is Slapping going to be a thing of the past?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2019
Slapping a thing of the past? That's absolutely silly. A hitter that can slap, or a slapper that can hit away, is the most potent offensive threat in softball. That was a direct quote from an SEC coach to me this past summer.

There is a reason why every SEC team makes the World Series Tournament. The SEC speed game has a proven track record of success.

Look at the trend in the Big 10 (which has been traditionally a non-speed conference) lately. Shonda Stanton is building a speed based program at Indiana, and they will be a force in the years to come. Coach Healey at Wisconsin was a slapper when she played, and the game they beat Oklahoma this past year was with small ball (and almost knocked them out of the tourney.) Minnesota brought on a slapping coach last season from Ole Miss to help them compete when the get to Edmond in the post season. People can say that slapping is as fad, but those that actually understand the game say otherwise.

Feb 3, 2016
I know some teams we can't compete with going Bat for Bat especially against older more powerful team's. Slapping and bunting when younger kids are playing up is a great equalizer.

Every kid on the team will be proficient in bunting, drag bunting, and from both sides of the plate. Slapping for those who want to learn just adds another dimension.

I don't care if she can hit 250' blasts* she will know how to play small ball.

*note: I do care & I love when a player can hit 250' straight away. :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
I know some teams we can't compete with going Bat for Bat especially against older more powerful team's. Slapping and bunting when younger kids are playing up is a great equalizer.

Every kid on the team will be proficient in bunting, drag bunting, and from both sides of the plate. Slapping for those who want to learn just adds another dimension.

I don't care if she can hit 250' blasts* she will know how to play small ball.

*note: I do care & I love when a player can hit 250' straight away. :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

With enough time, practice and dedication of course all of us coaches and parents would have our kids learn every valuable skill.

Practically though, I don't have my DD work on slapping and never will. She's a righty, clean-up power hitter. And a pitcher. We have 100 things to work on that are more valuable to her overall importance to the team.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
This is a post from a local showcase tournament my DD will be attending this weekend. Apparently some college coaches are planning ahead for slappers (LHS).

“If you have anyone interested in Morehead State here are their needs and they have a camp coming up in November. They are not able to attend this weekend but at least wanted to share this information.

2020: done

2021: P, LHS, Corner, & Utility that has power (lefty power hitter-preferred but power)

2022: Speed-OF, C, stud MIF( smoothie glove work and strong arm), & difference maker-off the field leader

2023: P, power hitter (prefer lefty), LHS, & U

2024: C, Speed-OF, corner with great glove work, true SS, & difference maker (good for culture)”

Jun 11, 2013
I think there will always be a place for great hitters in all ball sports. The HR is such a big part of the game but getting on base will always be a big deal. If you can be a great hitter who can slap to keep the defense on their toes you are almost impossible to get out.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't think slapping is dead. If a hitter has an OBP .500 plus she has value. Plus slappers piss off the opposing coach and cause bad throws too. What I don't like seeing is dads or coaches teaching their slow of foot players to slap. ;You have to be extremely fast for slapping to work. The new "both feet in " rule makes speed even more important because the slapper is going to have to be a little more deliberate (slower) with her footwork getting out of the box. I understand the need for the rule because some of the slappers were running half way to the pitchers mound but the rule is a tough one for the ump to call fairly especially in later innings when there is no box. Is it the home plate umps primary call when there is 2 or 3 umps?

With all that said, newer bats, harder balls, faster pitchers and stronger girls is taking the game the way of baseball. Chicks dig the long ball.

Jul 22, 2015
I think it's a little bit of a myth that you have to be really fast (top 10% or so of players) to be a good slapper. Bat control and the ability to be a triple threat is far more important. Players with average speed can be great slappers if they control the bat well and can put the ball in play at any distance. Of course, great speed is a tremendous help.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I think there will always be a place for great hitters in all ball sports. The HR is such a big part of the game but getting on base will always be a big deal. If you can be a great hitter who can slap to keep the defense on their toes you are almost impossible to get out.
Maybe it's easier to get a 3-run bomb than 3 solo shots in a game?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802