Is Slapping going to be a thing of the past?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
We will have to continue to make "hitting away" a priority these next couple years
Great idea.

Just be realistic about things. And whatever you do, don't sacrifice the long term for short term gains. Real easy to fall in love with all of the hits at 16u but you are not trying to build a great 16u player. You are trying to build a great college player. BIG difference there. Never forget it.

Oct 4, 2018
She’s 16. Plays 18U Gold level - showcases only.

Excellent. I appreciate your insight into how to pitch to slappers. I'll discuss with my 10U pitchers to stick to outside for now, but as the slapper gets better jamming them is the better approach.

Mar 28, 2014
Excellent. I appreciate your insight into how to pitch to slappers. I'll discuss with my 10U pitchers to stick to outside for now, but as the slapper gets better jamming them is the better approach.
Mixing it up is important uncdrew. Watch a slapper try to hit an outside black or river pitch without their keeping right shoulder in which is a big issue for most slappers. Not going to happen. Then bust them inside and up. Then back low with an outside black or river change up. Their next move will be exit right...................... to the dugout.

Oct 4, 2018
Mixing it up is important uncdrew. Watch a slapper try to hit an outside black or river pitch without their keeping right shoulder in which is a big issue for most slappers. Not going to happen. Then bust them inside and up. Then back low with an outside black or river change up. Their next move will be exit right...................... to the dugout.

Yes, mixing it up is a given in pitch calling. But within that given you have pitches/locations you use more frequently or in certain counts. I think we're all on the same page with this.

May 27, 2013

Anytime! When I used to call dd’s pitches I’d almost always go with a curve or drop curve against slappers. Force them to hit it more up towards the pitcher or to 2B who was playing up, because as they get older - even with 3B playing up, a hard hit slap right at 3B will often times induce errors or at least a bobble. With a speedy slapper one bobble is all it takes to make the difference between the slapper being safe or out. Also since 3B and sometimes SS will usually play up, dd will usually take the outside pitch and lift it over 3B’s head to get on. There’s so many different things a disciplined slapper can do if they know how to read the defense.

Feb 3, 2016
My only problem I see when my DD slaps is the size of the batter's box. I believe it's to be 7' long. Most fields we play average around 4' 6".

I need to bring a certified tape measure and discuss prior to the start of the game.

Artificial turf fields are by far the worst for length.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
My only problem I see when my DD slaps is the size of the batter's box. I believe it's to be 7' long. Most fields we play average around 4' 6".

I need to bring a certified tape measure and discuss prior to the start of the game.

Artificial turf fields are by far the worst for length.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm sure the HPU is delighted :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802