Is Slapping going to be a thing of the past?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
If dd slaps it to SS, she’s on every single time. She always gets the outside pitches and will just keep fouling them off until they come a little more inside over the plate where she can pound it to SS. She’s had several 10+ pitch at-bats. So frustrating for a pitcher. Never quite understood pitching a slapper outside. That’s where they want it!

May 27, 2013
Another thing I’ve noticed about dd once she converted to slapping is that she can “see” the ball much better. It is much more easier now for her to lay off high pitches.
She’s also a pitcher and has learned what best to throw slappers after being one. She typically jams them.

Apr 26, 2015
Another thing I’ve noticed about dd once she converted to slapping is that she can “see” the ball much better. It is much more easier now for her to lay off high pitches.
She’s also a pitcher and has learned what best to throw slappers after being one. She typically jams them.

This is so true! High and inside is what DD hates when she's slapping!
I love the 10+ pitch at bats - this is DD to a T! She had a 13 pitch at bat the other day and finally one of her teammates yelled from the dugout - "ok - we've seen everything she's got- go ahead and hit".

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
If dd slaps it to SS, she’s on every single time. She always gets the outside pitches and will just keep fouling them off until they come a little more inside over the plate where she can pound it to SS. She’s had several 10+ pitch at-bats. So frustrating for a pitcher. Never quite understood pitching a slapper outside. That’s where they want it!
My DD is the same. This fall, she has had five at bats with 7 pitches, one with 9, one 10, one 12, and one 13. She fouls them off until she finds the right pitch. Sometime it ends in a strikeout, but she definitely sees the ball better now.

Dec 5, 2017
Fine point.

We faced some novice slappers one game and I had a really good 10U pitcher on the mound. The low and outside fastball and the outside change-up were almost too easy to call.
Those pitches are hard for any young hitter, slapper or not. That's what my dd works on the most as a pitcher and as a slapper we focus on hitting those as well.

Oct 4, 2018

Not the bad ones. What age is your DD?

Oct 4, 2018
My DD is the same. This fall, she has had five at bats with 7 pitches, one with 9, one 10, one 12, and one 13. She fouls them off until she finds the right pitch. Sometime it ends in a strikeout, but she definitely sees the ball better now.

Regular hitters do this as well, of course. I think it's more about the skill of the batter than the technique. I've seen plenty of slappers get out in 1 pitch or strike out in 3.

I do agree that some pesky slappers seem to foul it off more. And I see the merit in that.

Mar 28, 2014
For the real answer to this question, just look at a college team's lineup. 1 slapper. Maybe 2. Usually 1 from the games I have seen. Then 7 or 8 hitters. So if playing in college is the goal, what gives you better odds? 1 out of 9 or 8 out of 9?

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
w
Regular hitters do this as well, of course. I think it's more about the skill of the batter than the technique. I've seen plenty of slappers get out in 1 pitch or strike out in 3.

I do agree that some pesky slappers seem to foul it off more. And I see the merit in that.
I totally agree with you. My DD's pitches seen average is right in the middle as far as her team goes. I just know she sees the ball way better than she did on the right side. Maybe part of that is maturity as she has adjusted to playing at this level.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
For the real answer to this question, just look at a college team's lineup. 1 slapper. Maybe 2. Usually 1 from the games I have seen. Then 7 or 8 hitters. So if playing in college is the goal, what gives you better odds? 1 out of 9 or 8 out of 9?
We will have to continue to make "hitting away" a priority these next couple years just in case. Hopefully having that plus speed will be an advantage. Praying she keeps her speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802