Is schadenfreude OK?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
Is it Ok to have a little schadenfreude now and then?

Local Dad put together new Travel Team (registered as B) in our town (where granted there is a dearth of TB softball due to reasons I wont go into), mostly girls from local rec league and some have played in a very low level "travel" league (at least those players and parents considered it TB, run limits, 4 OF, etc., it was glorified rec). He basically calls, begs, cajoles every somewhat talented girl from the rec league within age range he is looking for . . . except DD, who plays same position as his DD. DDs go to school together, have played with/against each other in rec league, AS, etc.

they have played 4 games, they are 1-3, combined score in three losses 46-8, including a loss to the B team in the age bracket of org DD plays for (same age bracket). DD has talked to several of her friends on this team privately that they need to find a better team.

Is it OK to take a wee bit of satisfaction in him falling flat on his face?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Taking the high road and avoiding saying "I told you so" even though everyone knows you could is absolutely the best feeling of satisfaction out there.

So yes. You are fine.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
YES! But never against the girls. Always wish/hope for them to land in a better situation.

Girls that want to play should be able to find a place to play, regardless of level A/B/C/Rec. They just deserve quality coaching and human beings leading their efforts.

But when jackwagons fail....schadenfreude is appropriate as long as there's no long lasting negative to the girls. But as I write this I realize the couple jackwagons I can think of......they did more damage to girls than good.

Oct 4, 2018
It probably is just the way I read it, but is your DD telling these girls they need to find a better team or are the girls coming to her saying they know they need to find a better team?

May 6, 2015
It probably is just the way I read it, but is your DD telling these girls they need to find a better team or are the girls coming to her saying they know they need to find a better team?
a little of both. DD knows this coach from rec AS, and knows what they are facing competition wise.

May 6, 2015
YES! But never against the girls. Always wish/hope for them to land in a better situation.

Girls that want to play should be able to find a place to play, regardless of level A/B/C/Rec. They just deserve quality coaching and human beings leading their efforts.

But when jackwagons fail....schadenfreude is appropriate as long as there's no long lasting negative to the girls. But as I write this I realize the couple jackwagons I can think of......they did more damage to girls than good.
absolutely do not wish anything bad for the girls, mostly feel sympathy for them, as they are kinda stuck. fact of the matter is, because of the sliminess of a coach running quasi travel teams, most talented players within two years of DD either way picked up and found better situations outside the area, so it is hard now for anyone to start something up in these years, as we are a small town with a limited talent pool.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
absolutely do not wish anything bad for the girls, mostly feel sympathy for them, as they are kinda stuck. fact of the matter is, because of the sliminess of a coach running quasi travel teams, most talented players within two years of DD either way picked up and found better situations outside the area, so it is hard now for anyone to start something up in these years, as we are a small town with a limited talent pool.
This is the definition of the Hittin' Kittens. I had to look up that word. Didn't know it is existed...I like it.

Aug 25, 2019
Ah, new team, they'll figure it out soon enough that the good players will move on, and the team will fall apart.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
The team DD left now has twice as many losses as they do wins, with an average differential of 5 runs. Was told positions are earned, but apparently that doesn't apply to the coach's kids. I may take some solace in those facts, just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802