Is rotation nonsense?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
These aren’t great examples.. one pitch is above the belt, the other is chest height. Of course he’s going to be more upright...that’s why you adjust your posture as per pitch location. Admittedly I don’t have many samples of Ted W swinging a bat. Curious what is posture looks likes when pitch location is at the knees.

With that being said, Williams certainly looks like a TTB hitter to me based on these swings. IMO he TTB to get on plane.

Feb 25, 2020

This guy is pretty upright also. But there is still hip flexion and extension. The hip/torso rotation stops as the hips reach extension.

Ted shows the same in his swing. Abeit a little more "raw". Maybe it was the 35" bat he was swinging. Or the high pitches he was smashing.

The swing is "rotational". But once the bat handle gets close to in between the pitcher and the batter, hip extension becomes the most advantageous way to continue the "rotation" to contact. This is nice because the largest muscles in the body power this move.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
View attachment 19789

View attachment 19790

teds pretty upright here while coming outta posture.

posture isn’t an end all. Guys can adjust other ways. Plenty of guys who use hip flexion, knee flexion and their arms and hands to adjust.

there are pros and cons to both. Nothing is absolute. 🙂

In all the hitters I’ve look at, nobody started with the bat vertical, then let the barrel dip like he does and then level out the swing.

Ted is unique. One of a kind.

TM would call it arm action and slop. It is slop in the start of the swing.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
No posture. Very upright.

There was an old player, played on the Marlins 1997 WS team. He had some success. He was upright, the swing and posture definitely were at odds like the old setpro gif comes to mind when the posture and swing plane didn’t match up.

There is nothing upright in Arozarena swings. The posture and swing plane match.

Feb 25, 2020
In all the hitters I’ve look at, nobody started with the bat vertical, then let the barrel dip like he does and then level out the swing.

Ted is unique. One of a kind.

TM would call it arm action and slop. It is slop in the start of the swing.

I think he used a 35" bat. I think he was about 6'3 205. No weight training/roids. For a modern refernece josh hamilton is probly one of the last "sluggers" to use a 35" bat and he is/was about 6'4 240 with modern strength training.

Pitching is also much faster now. The ball is juiced etc.

Teds swings werent pretty.

Edit: yes your right arozorena has plenty of "posture"

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There was an old player, played on the Marlins 1997 WS team. He had some success. He was upright, the swing and posture definitely were at odds like the old setpro gif comes to mind when the posture and swing plane didn’t match up.

There is nothing upright in Arozarena swings. The posture and swing plane match.

he doesn’t side bend much. He adjusts w his arms/hands, much like the old timers. He has a flatter swing plane. he has some holes in his swing. But nobody throws sinkers anymore. Guys with upright posture use the arms and hands more, holes are usually down, kill up pitches. Opposite for hunched over players, hit low pitches well and high heat is an issue.

The shoulders will ALWAYS line up with the bat w/o trying to. That means nothing. Look at the plane of the swing arc in relation to the ground. Horizontal or vertical bat angle? That’s the visual.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28