Is releassing the top hand bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I believe the hitting coach for the White sox in the 90s advocated releasing the top hand. Frank Thomas ans several other hitters on those teams did it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Please explain. Once the ball has already left the bat, how can the hands possibly affect the ball?

That said, I understand that if the hand coming off the bat after contact is a result of flawed upstream mechanics, then releasing the hand could be an issue, but (IMO) that's a whole different discussion.

The sequence that a hitter follows through impact influences the bat speed attained through impact.

I understand the logic of ***IF*** the bat speed was the same ... ... ... but the ***IF*** is silly, because it is more a wishful pipe dream. The reality is that one's release mechanics do matter and that they influence the speed of the barrel into/through impact.

Jun 8, 2016
The sequence that a hitter follows through impact influences the bat speed attained through impact.

I understand the logic of ***IF*** the bat speed was the same ... ... ... but the ***IF*** is silly, because it is more a wishful pipe dream. The reality is that one's release mechanics do matter and that they influence the speed of the barrel into/through impact.

I don't think anybody is advocating releasing at impact or even close to impact but instead think Ken Griffey Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0moFbeC-EA

Apr 3, 2013
I don't think anybody is advocating releasing at impact or even close to impact but instead think Ken Griffey Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0moFbeC-EA

That's true. And I agree that after contact the ball is going to do what it's going to do regardless if the too hand stays in contact. But I think that is the difference of a kid releasing the hand and stopping short causing premature deceleration. What we see at result is usually occurring prior to that point. So at contact or shortly after there could be a breakdown that actually is an issue. Look at Griffey's top hand. Although it does come off it stays with the bat and actually accelerates past it some at finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Many of the best hitters on the planet release the top hand, male and female. Telling a hitter never to do so shows a lack of ability to work with multiple hitting styles which shows the lack of a good hitting coach IMO.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When my DD releases her top hand there is a 98.2% chance she is opening up her front shoulder early, which is why we discourage her from doing it...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Im trying to put these two things together. How does the top hand stop the shoulders from turning?

Not sure it works the same for everyone, which is why I stated that is what happens with my DD. Try swinging a bat with and without releasing the top hand and see what you get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802