Is it worth it for Canadians?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BLB

May 19, 2008
Up to 10 years ago, tuition in Canada was about 20% of the real cost for attending university. Unknown to some, the government covered about 80% of the real cost per student. It's probably the same now. Unless things are now different and unless an athlete gets a full ride, why should a Canadian athlete attend a US university? Just curious!

May 8, 2008
South Florida
Hey BLB

My family is Canadian and we live in South Florida. My DD was very fortunate to receive a full ride at a junior college. To answer your question is it worth it, I would say that the only way it would be worth it is the school has more to offer academically for your future than a Canadian school would. My dd has so far had an amazing experience playing college ball and has already learned so much and got in great shape!! She is doing great academically as well but the fall has been light compared to what is to come when the season begins in JAN so she is getting geared up for that. She is loving the experience and it si something that we discuss all the time - that she would have never had this opportunity in Canada which is very unfortunate because we miss our home alot but we love this one as well. So it is all about what you want for your future!!!

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That's a great question. As you know, outside of Simon Fraser University (and UBC in a year or two), no other school in the country offers high-level collegiate fastpitch played against US schools.

Most of the time I would say yes.

Are you getting something more in the US? If you remove softball from the equation, no you don't and you might even getting less.

Why less? Canadian institutions are very strong and recognized. A lot of school in the US are not very challenging academically (of course, you have the Harvard and other small liberal colleges who are) but in general, it is a recognized fact that Canadian Universities are a little more challenging than US schools.

As I said, some schools are really really good on the academic side but there are a lot of junior colleges or big universities that are not that great. While I was coaching at SFU, many kids would transfer back to Canada because they were doing grade 10 science in college or their 90% average would melt to 78-82% back here in Canada.

And I know plenty of cases of Canadian kids who have felt this way. However, at the end of the day, you get out of your degree what you put in.

And for someone like me who has gone to school a long time (8 years of undergraduate and graduate studies), I still belive than playing softball and going to school at the same is definitely worth it because of all the other "real life" skills, experience, and knowledge you will get out of playing elite sport while combining this with studying.

It is challenging. It is demanding. It prepares you for real life like nothing. And guess what? Everyday, you get to do what you like most - playing softball!

So, it can be a really rewarding experience that is worth.

Of course, you have the less brighter side of kids who went didn't like it, didn't like the culture of the school they were at, didn't get to play, didn't like the coach.

My advice is always the same:

Do you like softball A LOT (like thinking about it all the time)? Are you competitive? Do you like challenges and getting better?

Is your heart, deep down, really want to go south and live the experience of playing ball?

If the answer to those two questions is YES! Then Do it.

You don't like it? Come back home later.

You will NOT have the regret of not trying it. And IT IS NOT a lost year. Every life experience is totally worth it (even if negative). Going away from home and learning to live on your own IS a great life experience. Even if it is only for one semester, one year, or two years.

Yes, it will probably take you an extra year to complete a degree in Canada because of it.

So what? You will be working for 35 years anyways. Whether you start working full time at 22, 23 or 25, it doesn't change anything.

One more thing to consider...

A full ride and going to school in Canada will be the same cost in most cases. Because you still have to pay for airfare and a few other things like personal stuff that the scholarship doesn't provide. In most cases, the difference between going to school on a scholarship in the US or paying the tuition of a Canadian school heavily subsidized by the government (anywhere between 2000 and 6000$ per year in Canada for the best schools) will be too small to really make it a financial matter if you include all the various expenses.

My thoughts.

Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802