Is it time for a sports psychologist?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
I’m not going into long boring details on how we got here, but my daughter might be battling more than just a hitting slump. A year ago, last Fall she was batting .612 with a slugging percentage of .800. (Her team posted stats on game changer) Her freshman high school season before that was similar, maybe even better numbers. And it goes on, 14u both years before that, same. Now a year later she is struggling mentally at the plate big time. This has been pretty much since last March high school season and it went right through TB season. She went from 3-4 hole hitter to 12th on Saturdays to sitting out hitting on Sundays. She sees a hitting coach. It doesn’t seem to be mechanics. I think it’s definitely a mental block. Practices for Fall start next week. The elephant in the room is, (nobody is talking about it) she is entering her junior year. Big recruitment year. She’s been on the tee and she sees her hitting coach as much as she can. Tonight I took her to the batting cages. The fastest they had available for softball is 45 mph. She was hoping for 55 mph as she is playing 18u. So she went into the 45 mph. She was the only one there so she could take her time she wanted. She hit probably a little more than 50%. Mostly quality hits. I looked at it as a good thing. She came away like it was bad. If anyone is interested I have some video of her hitting last Fall. I can pm it. I just don’t know how she was doing so well and it appeared like her mechanics were solid to now she swings and misses and her body language doesn’t appear confident at all. Side note: she was at a different high school for her freshman year. Very Much success. Her sophomore season (last year) new school. New coach. I believe this is where the spiral started and her TB coach this past season didn’t help things for her confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Sadly, it could be vision related.

Had a girl tell us last year that when a ball is hit at her, she sees two coming at her and has to pick which one to field.

Think about that.

Jun 27, 2018
She had an eye test at her primary care doctor. They said she’s good. . I’m going to call an actual eye doctor.

Jun 8, 2016
Is the pitching she is facing better now? Less than good mechanics that might work against lesser pitching may not work so well against better pitching...Of course this would then manifest itself into her losing her confidence which would just make things worse. Just because she has a hitting coach doesn't mean that he knows what he is doing...

Jun 27, 2018
Chinamigarden she’s on a few week break now. Starting back next week.

Jun 11, 2012
Is there anything else going on outside of softball? Sometimes that is the cause.
Will she talk to you about what she's thinking and feeling. Let her talk, don't offer advise until she asks for it.
Teenage girls are emotionally all over the place sometimes and the stupidest silliest thing could be causing this.

Jun 27, 2018
Murphdog as far as I know, no. No boyfriend. Small circle of friends. Honors student and she does volunteer work. She seems to open up and talk a lot to us. Seems pretty content in home life.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28