is it really necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Even without prior knowledge I could guess everyone's age group and in some cases what org they belong to just from this thread.

If you can, spend as little as possible on uniforms. It doesn't matter. Parents care WAY, WAY more than the kids.

Feb 26, 2018
Every org we've played with has had the standard player package with helmet, bag, belt(s), socks, hoody, practice jersey, jerseys, and pants.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Parents care WAY, WAY more than the kids.

That hasn't been my experience. In rec ball, my DD played for a small league with a limited budget for all-stars. They never had the matching helmets and bags of most of the other teams. I heard envious comments from the kids more than a few times. Even as recently as this summer, in 14U TB, my DD and her teammates took pride in a consistent "team" appearance, even down to how they lined up their bags, helmets, bats, and gloves during pre-game warm-ups. This was not coach-mandated. It was just the personality of the team.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
That hasn't been my experience. In rec ball, my DD played for a small league with a limited budget for all-stars. They never had the matching helmets and bags of most of the other teams. I heard envious comments from the kids more than a few times. Even as recently as this summer, in 14U TB, my DD and her teammates took pride in a consistent "team" appearance, even down to how they lined up their bags, helmets, bats, and gloves during pre-game warm-ups. This was not coach-mandated. It was just the personality of the team.

Perhaps. I have normally found that is just the kids following what their parent think and say at home or in the stands as they envy other teams. That is the personality of most of the younger age groups teams. Can't pretend I didn't live in that denial when DD was younger. Anbd of course that is just what I think.

Your experience may differ. :cool:

Jul 14, 2018
DD and her teammates took pride in a consistent "team" appearance, even down to how they lined up their bags, helmets, bats, and gloves during pre-game warm-ups.

Isn't this how it's done in the college game? I know that DD's pitching coach, a former D1 player, has all of the girls follow a similar routine when she's conducting clinics. She has said that the girls who know how to do this properly will stand out when it comes time to attend prospect camps. And, of course, college teams do require standard uniforms, usually including the bats.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Isn't this how it's done in the college game? I know that DD's pitching coach, a former D1 player, has all of the girls follow a similar routine when she's conducting clinics. She has said that the girls who know how to do this properly will stand out when it comes time to attend prospect camps. And, of course, college teams do require standard uniforms, usually including the bats.

Oct 4, 2018
Funny thing, I was on board with everybody matching and looking great...until last night. I typically stay out of writing the checks because my wife takes care of the finances and I'm oblivious to how much "things" cost. So, this past weekend, my wife and daughter went to her team fitting. They came home and I never asked how it went or questioned how much we spent. Well, I over heard my wife at dinner last night talking to a friend that the clothing package cost $485! I about lost my mind!! 5 Jerseys, 3 pairs of pants, 3 belts, 3 socks, bat bag, helmet, cleats.

WHO NEEDS ALL THIS??????

I swear we are making everybody rich so my daughter can play softball!

Well cleats and helmet can come to $150 - $200 alone. Bag can be another $80.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Sponsored college programs can look the same., because there isn't a cost associated with it.

Partially sponsored or not sponsored, they don't have the budget for 'looking the same' and will do what their budget allows.

And a line up of gloves/helmets/bats looks the same even with different brands.

Jun 12, 2015
Well, I over heard my wife at dinner last night talking to a friend that the clothing package cost $485! I about lost my mind!! 5 Jerseys, 3 pairs of pants, 3 belts, 3 socks, bat bag, helmet, cleats.

That sounds pretty normal for a travel team. Usually it'll be 3 game jerseys and 2 practice jerseys, which are significantly less expensive. You could cut costs by not having those but it wouldn't save all that much. And between growing feet and wear and tear, don't you need to buy new cleats every year anyway? Why not match them?

Feb 12, 2014
DD wears mens size 14 EE shoes (she's 6'1, 235 at 15). Unless your deal is with New Balance, then you're not getting her in team cleats!

Both of the teams she has played for have been very understanding that she's a big kid and made sure she had helmets and uniforms that fit her properly. Now, her HS is another matter entirely.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812