Is it just me or is the fielding in College not stellar

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It seems that as the game has opened up a bit, become less pitcher dominated, it has exposed how poor some teams field the ball. I can't turn on a game without seeing routine plays booted. Am I just picking the wrong games to watch? Even in last years WCWS it seemed like an error fest.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree, but it is likely a combination of factors:

The balls are getting hit harder. At 60 feet from home, a hard hit grounder gets to the infielders very, very fast.

Player dilution--the talent level on the teams isn't as great as it was a few years ago. The infielders as a whole aren't as good, and neither are the pitchers. The kid pitching for Northwestern wouldn't have been allowed near the mound 5 years ago.

Agreed.
The Fastpitch game is evolving. Not so much 'the game' more so the athletes coupled with technology. Better,stronger,faster!! FP is an explosive ,quick, short burst sport with very little margin for error, hence booted balls on routine plays. Sluggers is correct with 'players dilution'. If she has great hand-eye coordination, can consistanly contact the bat on the ball (how many slap hits over the fence you seen lately) we'll find a spot for her since we're favoring offense over solid defense. Not too many D1 teams have lights out defense, flame throwing pitchers to go with thier line-up of .400+ crushers.
Keep in mind they are AMATURE student athletes playing for the love of the game ....not fighting for a paycheck. Any young female softball player seeing D1 players weak moments should be inspired in knowing that even the 'chosen ones' make mistakes just like her.

Apr 13, 2010
Everyone plays long ball now. At least in the PAC-10 and SEC they do. I watched the Georgia/Alabama game a month ago and didn't see much short game at all but I saw plenty of home runs. Seems like that's the trend. Personally I love the short game. It's what makes Softball different from Baseball.

Dec 28, 2008
I don't know that it's fair to make judgement calls based on a few games. The only way to accurately say fielding has gone down is to review the stats over the course of many seasons and check the fielding percentages. (Just using this as example Amy don't shoot): If you looked at Arizona's statistics for 2007, 2008, 2009 and then last year and you saw a consistent decline in the stats, then you could say that the U of A was declining in it's fielding. If you did the same for all of the PAC 10 schools and saw the same trend you could say fielding was declining in the PAC 10. If you did the same for all 375+ D1 schools, then I'd agree fielding is declining in the D1. But everyone makes errors at some point and yes the ones in big games seem to us to be bigger because of the emotion involved and stand out in our memory longer, but the reality is they only count as 1 error.

Jul 26, 2010
Agreed. Watch some of the video's Amy has posted of the professional game in Japan. The fielders are AMAZING, but most teams lack the power so they all play small ball. Over here, the emphasis is all on the BP show that the college game has become.

I've seen better fielding in 18 gold then I have seen on most college games, so I can only assume two things:

1) Colleges are just looking for power hitters, damned the consequences (especially the SEC)
2) The smart girls who are great fielders are opting for education over the Nofuture Chained Athlete Administration programs

Again, watch the pro games and compare, and make your own judgement.

-W

Jul 28, 2008
Everyone plays long ball now. At least in the PAC-10 and SEC they do. I watched the Georgia/Alabama game a month ago and didn't see much short game at all but I saw plenty of home runs. Seems like that's the trend. Personally I love the short game. It's what makes Softball different from Baseball.

This is why I like to watch TN Vols. They still play the short game and it's fun to watch. It also involves more strategy for the managers. I noticed the lack of fielding skills while at a UW vs Alabama game a few years back and was thinking the same thing about both sides, with the exception of Kelly Montalvo at 3rd base. That kid could play ball!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28