Is it harder to pitch to shorter players or?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
:) in the theme of
Does Size Matter in S.B.

Is it harder to pitch to shorter players or taller?

Hmmmm?
Are some going to talk about the strike zone? Smaller vs Taller
Or
About strength vs less because of size?
Or
Quickness to the ball vs mechanics....
Hmmmm?

LETS KEEP SOFTBALL THRIVING !

ENJOY

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
When DD was playing the team we were playing was huge. DD standing on the base was still smaller then them. Before the game:

Dw: That team is big
Dd: Good, I have a bigger strike zone to throw to. :)

Jun 4, 2014
I will say that my daughter who is shorter than most on the field has a much higher percentage of strikes called on her that are at neck level or above. It is very frustrating for her, and not something she's adjusted to, but it's definitely a thing.

Maybe one day I'll put together a video compilation of some of the ones I have.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was on the shorter side too and same thing happened to her. If umpire had a fix strike zone regardless of hitters, the tall players had strikes called their ankes. Seems to go both ways.

Nov 9, 2019
:) in the theme of
Does Size Matter in S.B.

Is it harder to pitch to shorter players or taller?

Hmmmm?
Are some going to talk about the strike zone? Smaller vs Taller
Or
About strength vs less because of size?
Or
Quickness to the ball vs mechanics....
Hmmmm?

LETS KEEP SOFTBALL THRIVING !

ENJOY
DD looked at me like i was stupid when i showed her this. She said you taught me to throw to the glove not the batter.

Oct 4, 2018
The shorters girls on our team have the highest number of walks. Not sure if that's correlated.

A shorter batter should have a small strike zone, which would make it harder to throw a strike to them. At youngers ages it certainly seems so.

Oct 4, 2018
DD looked at me like i was stupid when i showed her this. She said you taught me to throw to the glove not the batter.

Nice.

However, miss the glove by 6 inches and it may be a ball to a short girl and a strike to a tall girl.

Mar 28, 2014
This is why there is a shortage of pitchers and also why a lot of kids quit softball.

When kids are young and just getting started pitching, they are pitching to the smallest strike zone they will ever see. Inexperienced pitching + a tiny strike zone = terribly boring games = kids quitting softball for soccer, etc.....

It's totally backwards. When young pitchers need the most help with a strike zone they are pitching to 4 footers. When they have a ton of experience and can hit a pie plate they are pitching to 6 footers. Odds are stacked against poor pitchers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom