Is it a requirement that varsity baseball and softball be equally funded?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
I dont hear much about it, unless you count complaining about coaches that are trying, but...
As dad of a 10 year old aspiring pitcher Imho there are far, far more potential quality athletes than there are quality coaches. True with all sports, but especially trie with pitchers and even more so with catchers. I dont know how to fix it unless we could start cloning them.

I wouldn't want a school coach instructing DD on such specialized positions, especially when coaches seem to think that softball and baseball are the same sport, and they think they know baseball. Maybe they do know baseball, but the ones I've encountered certainly don't know softball.

Jun 26, 2019
I wouldn't want a school coach instructing DD on such specialized positions, especially when coaches seem to think that softball and baseball are the same sport, and they think they know baseball. Maybe they do know baseball, but the ones I've encountered certainly don't know softball.

I have heard that about school coaches but my kids are not there yet. Either way school or not good coaches are in short supply and busy.

May 6, 2015
What is the difference between a jersey and a uniform?
uniform for baseball or softball would generally entail jersey, pants, socks, belt (hat for baseball, since most dont wear them, I would not purchase/issue them for SB)

Dec 20, 2012
Texas
In my state students cannot be asked or required to pay any fees to play on public high school teams. The baseball team hasn't had any fundraisers and it doesn't have a booster club?

If the school is providing the baseball team with multiple uniforms I see no reason why the softball team should have only one.

The uniform issue could also come down to coach preference. I know in some of the school districts I have worked in, you are expected to buy uniforms with your budget. If this is the case, the coach may choose to buy just 1 uniform as to not use up as much of the budget.

Every district is going to have their ways they do things, some will have money set aside every few years for new uniforms, some will include it in the budget allotted for that program and it is on the coach, and some will have a separate uniform budget. Just depends on each district.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
Had a tournament each year to raise money for softball program. Coach organized it, and parents worked it (tickets, concessions, field maintenance...) We averaged $14-16K from that tourney even after umpires were paid. This was only used to fund softball, including tourney fees, etc. When that coach left, the new coach turned over the tourney to the Athletic Boosters, as well as @ $12K "softball account". But hey, the football team got new helmets, a fog machine, and a new run through tunnel...

Dec 11, 2010
But hey, the football team got new helmets, a fog machine, and a new run through tunnel...
Our school absolutely pours money into football.

Each of our one or two wins per year must cost $20 grand+. Glad those boys have this opportunity to become better young men. True excellence going on there.

Dec 11, 2010
I’ll add this…. I should get off my rear and work on this stuff with the local hs. My daughters have graduated from hs and unlike current players parents I no longer have anything to lose.

Make no mistake, if you aren’t ready for it and have skills to deal with it, they will try to mess with you and your kid.

And they count on you being nervous about doing it and they count on wearing you down to the point that you don’t care after your kids are gone.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
The boys booster clubs aren’t required to buy things for the girls. However if the school district allows booster clubs to buy things for the boys resulting in disparities for the girls, the school district is required to make up the shortfalls.
This is exactly what happened at our HS. Disclosure...had a boy in baseball have a girl in softball now.

The Baseball group raised money for enclosed hitting cage. The district said girls had to have equal facilities so the baseball group funded the whole project and the softball group paid the baseball group back for their half, over time. Worked out everyone benefited and benefited sooner.

When the baseball group figured out the district would make up the difference for the girls...they funded extra stuff for the boys.

I've been on both sides of this situation. There's a lot more support for baseball...just from parents. Baseball parents were more willing to fundraise and do things for the team(s). Not so much with the softball crowd. My take away was the baseball folks worked harder to get additional things the school district didn't provide...YMMV. Advertisers and outfield signs etc have been fairly equal from the community. I'm blessed to be able to add additional support to our HS team...it will get others more involved too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28