Is it a requirement that varsity baseball and softball be equally funded?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Coaches salaries and number of paid assistants must be the same and any money allocated to baseball by the school must be allocated to softball as well.

Nov 18, 2013
Coaches salaries and number of paid assistants must be the same and any money allocated to baseball by the school must be allocated to softball as well.

Theres nothing in Title IX that states the number of coaches, or salary or money spent on one sport needs to be the same as another sport.

Title IX specifically states funding does not need to be equal as in the case of football if equipment costs more a school district is justified in spending more on the boys sports than the girls.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I am "El Presidente" of DD2 HS Booster Club. We have only one club that takes requests from all programs. Most coaches never ask for any monies. Other programs are always wanting money.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I filed two Title IX complaints back in the 90s and won both.

I'm still amazed that I had to file complaints. The gender discrimination was ridiculous...boys had dugouts, girls had to sit on an open air bench. They had a "co-ed" soccer team, but the rule was that only 3 girls were allowed on the squad. Crazy stuff.

The AD for the district was so sure that girls didn't want to play sports he had a survey performed...and it came back that a higher percentage of girls wanted to play sports than boys.

May 21, 2018
The funding source doesn't matter. In Title IX, the issue is whether the facilities are comparable, not who paid for them.

At my alma mater, Dave Stieb, SIU alum and former pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays, built a great facility for the men's baseball field. SIU was later forced to build a comparable facility with their own money.

Now, if you are a big $$$ donor, the schools encourage spending for multi-purpose athletic training facilities rather than facilities for a specific team or sport.
Wait a minute.....you're a fellow Saluki? Go Dawgs. 🤘

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
OP, is it possible, the boys teams are paying more in fees for their uniforms? How many fundraisers are the girls having vs the boys?

If boys have better uniforms and extras (beyond the basic field), it's likely because the PARENTS paid lots of money to the booster club to make it that way.

If you want better uniforms, hitting cages, etc. then pay for them. Start some fundraisers, golf tourneys, sell discount cards, have car washes, etc.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm...:unsure:
Would rather have better coaches paid appropriately.
And wear a t-shirt uniform playing on the lawn.

Is that oversight or overlooked... ?!

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
OP, is it possible, the boys teams are paying more in fees for their uniforms? How many fundraisers are the girls having vs the boys?

If boys have better uniforms and extras (beyond the basic field), it's likely because the PARENTS paid lots of money to the booster club to make it that way.

If you want better uniforms, hitting cages, etc. then pay for them. Start some fundraisers, golf tourneys, sell discount cards, have car washes, etc.

In my state students cannot be asked or required to pay any fees to play on public high school teams. The baseball team hasn't had any fundraisers and it doesn't have a booster club?

If the school is providing the baseball team with multiple uniforms I see no reason why the softball team should have only one.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Your DD got a uniform? My DD got a jersey.

Baseball team seems to have the gear they need. I bought 2 dozen balls and a hitting net for the softball team because the ones they had last year seemed to have disappeared magically disappeared.

Disappointing to hear they only got jerseys.

Did the baseball team get jerseys or uniforms?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
Hmmm...:unsure:
Would rather have better coaches paid appropriately.
And wear a t-shirt uniform playing on the lawn.

Is that oversight or overlooked... ?!

I dont hear much about it, unless you count complaining about coaches that are trying, but...
As dad of a 10 year old aspiring pitcher Imho there are far, far more potential quality athletes than there are quality coaches. True with all sports, but especially trie with pitchers and even more so with catchers. I dont know how to fix it unless we could start cloning them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802