Is hitting off a pitching machine necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
At SC they had a few. Camera mounted behind the hitter with a flat screen behind the net. Was on a delay so they could take a cut and then see it on the screen and make adjustments on the next one. Had metrics on exit velocity, launch angle, etc. All the tools to succeed, just needed to put in the work.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I would imagine most teams use them. A few pro baseball teams I know use them. It’s hard to simulate the velocity and breaking pitches without one.
I read somewhere long ago that David Ortiz use to hit off a tennis machine at 120 mph. If I remember correctly, It was in his contract that the team had to have one.

Jul 14, 2018
True story. When DD was in 12U, the coach used to end practice with a knockout game. Every kid got three pitches from the machine, you had to make contact to get to the next round. Each round, the mph went up.

DD was really good at it, she’d always be one of the last 2-3 hitting pitches in the mid 60’s. One practice I joked with her on the way home, “65? You’re ready for D1!”

She said she never saw the ball. She listened for the sound of the ball dropping into the machine and just knew where it was going to be located when it reached the plate.

Not sure that made her a better hitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
DD’s MS coach used one but set it a speed that most of the kids on the team could hit…so like 35 mph..😒

Aug 6, 2013
I throw BP here in Omaha to an NAIA school, Bellevue University. It helps me to keep in shape, gauge my back pain (and tolerance to it) and decide if I am going to pitch in the league. lol.

As always, all the college age (and below) players that I throw BP to say the same thing: they struggle to see the ball very well. Not because I'm trying to blitz them at 80mph. But because I keep my hand concealed with the ball through the wind up. They almost all say they struggle seeing the ball.
DD had a coach in KC (Pepper’s Coach in case you know him) that played men’s fastpitch and was a pitcher. He was the absolute best thing that ever happened to help DD’s hitting. He would throw BP and definitely didn’t hold back with her (14u). I give him so much credit for why she can mash the ball. Can she hit off a machine? Yeah if the person running it is consistent but she hates it. Probably because she was spoiled by her men’s fastpitch playing coach.

Dec 11, 2010
True story. When DD was in 12U, the coach used to end practice with a knockout game. Every kid got three pitches from the machine, you had to make contact to get to the next round. Each round, the mph went up.

DD was really good at it, she’d always be one of the last 2-3 hitting pitches in the mid 60’s. One practice I joked with her on the way home, “65? You’re ready for D1!”

She said she never saw the ball. She listened for the sound of the ball dropping into the machine and just knew where it was going to be located when it reached the plate.

Not sure that made her a better hitter

Well, sure it did! I think she put a lot of thought into that!

Jul 1, 2019
We use a pitching machine as infrequently as possible. The density of the ball is hard on the bats. Also the machines can be inconsistent, but that is probably a combination of machine age (quality) and user skills. We do two front toss stations, and two live pitching stations as much as possible. But in our indoor practice times we are paired with another team about our age so we can use all the pitchers and coaches. We are lucky from that perspective.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
We have one. We use ...foam (????) balls. I don't know how other coaches in the Org use it, but we use it almost exclusively for bunting practice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee