Is hitting off a pitching machine necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
DD is on a new team this spring (1st year 12u). I offered to let the team use my pitching machine. Coach declined and said he doesn't like pitching machines. I didn't ask why, but it got me thinking about timing. Are pitching machines a necessary part of batting practice or can it all be done with coaches doing under hand front toss? Do you just move up close to simulate the reaction times needed for hitting off a fast pitcher?

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2017
DD is on a new team this spring (1st year 12u). I offered to let the team use my pitching machine. Coach declined and said he doesn't like pitching machines. I didn't ask why, but it got me thinking about timing. Are pitching machines a necessary part of batting practice or can it all be done with coaches doing under hand front toss? Do you just move up close to simulate the reaction times needed for hitting off a fast pitcher?

We use machine all the time in team practice, hold ball in chute and perform a arm circle. Can't always have a live pitcher. Also while not perfect for timing, I think it is good for seeing velocity. But a ton can be done with Just front toss and like you said varying the plate distance, like a 3 plate drill.

I don't think 12u players realize that the reaction time from front toss distance is roughly the same as live.

Aug 6, 2013
My DD hates pitching machines. A big part of her hitting practice work is front toss from me behind a screen about 15-18' from the plate.
Likewise. My DD is absolutely awful off the pitching machine. She can't get her timing often times because of the person running it. She really hates the machine when other teammates work the machine, lol. She can mash the ball in games so we don't put too much stock in her performance off the machine. I also set my screen pretty close to the plate to simulate speed. (because I'm not fast).

Oct 2, 2017
Likewise. My DD is absolutely awful off the pitching machine. She can't get her timing often times because of the person running it. She really hates the machine when other teammates work the machine, lol. She can mash the ball in games so we don't put too much stock in her performance off the machine. I also set my screen pretty close to the plate to simulate speed. (because I'm not fast).
Thats majority of the problem right there.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Keep in mind that getting closer simulates the reaction time from release to contact of faster pitching, but a front toss pitch is in the hitting zone for longer and is affected by gravity more than true velocity. That said, it's still very valuable work when true velocity is not available, and it's often the best we can do with what we have.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
The machine I have is a Louisville Black Flame. It is one of the spring loaded mechanical ones, so no power is required. It tops out at 44 mph, but I can move it up a bit to simulate timing on faster pitches. I like it because it will throw normal softballs, doesn't need power, is lighter than the powered ones, and my arm isn't sore the next day after throwing 300 pitches. I do an arm circle and pull the trigger so the ball release is pretty spot on with my arm circle for working on timing. I just hadn't encountered a coach that outright hated pitching machines and refused to use them.

Oct 26, 2019
My DD hates pitching machines. A big part of her hitting practice work is front toss from me behind a screen about 15-18' from the plate.
I never liked hitting off them either. Not being able to see the arm circle and the timing of the pitchers body makes it tough, Especially if you have a little bigger load like your DD does. You almost have to get a little wider and foot down early with a 2 strike approach against them. In baseball we use them to hit breaking pitches because it’s hard for a coach to throw breaking pitches with velocity. I suspect a lot of softball coaches use them because there are many who cant throw BP with velocity with a full arm circle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28