Is GoPro the best option?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 5, 2020
Looking for some feedback on my best options to start recording my daughter’s games at travel ball tournaments.

I have zero experience so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
From my perspective, the GoPro Hero8 is the best camera for recording baseball and softball games. It takes very good video and has field of view (FOV, the angle of the shot) and zoom capability. It also is incredibly rugged and can handle the environment. But a couple things to note, they work well for recording the entire field. Zoom into an outfield position isn't a viable option. The purpose for using this camera is to be able to set it and forget it, allowing you to watch the game. Next, I would suggest that you get an external power source as well. USB batteries (we recommend EasyAcc brand) are fairly cheap and available on Amazon. The internal battery may last 2 hours, but you will need more for more games in a day. You will also find that the internal battery will degrade over time (all batts do this). The external will provide power all day so you don't have to worry. Lastly, don't skimp on a quality SD memory card. GoPro lists comparability and speeds. You want the fastest card you can find, even if not a large card. Slow card cause the camera to over work. This creates heat which causes all kinds of problems.

If the cost of the Hero8 is too much, a refurbished Hero5 is a great buy. The 6 and 7 are usable but have had problems over the years.

If you want to stream, GoPro isn't a good choice. The 7 and 8 have the ability, but only at the ultra wide FOV which is not a good option. For just streaming, cell phones are the most economical. For streaming and recording, Mevo is the best there is.

I hope this helps.

Apr 28, 2014
I have recorded over 400 of DDs games at 1080 with a $35 "sport camera" from Amazon.
After over 3 years the camera took one to the lense so I upgraded to a $40 Amazon special.
:)
Works great.

Check out my channel on YouTube

The fatal blow....

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I have recorded over 400 of DDs games at 1080 with a $35 "sport camera" from Amazon.
After over 3 years the camera took one to the lense so I upgraded to a $40 Amazon special.
:)
Works great.

Check out my channel on YouTube

The fatal blow....

It looks really good to me. Did you have to attach any other lens to the camera to get that wide angle view or is that standard with the camera? Same question on the audio—just the built in mic? And you are just recording the game, not live-streaming it, right?

Apr 28, 2014
It looks really good to me. Did you have to attach any other lens to the camera to get that wide angle view or is that standard with the camera? Same question on the audio—just the built in mic? And you are just recording the game, not live-streaming it, right?
Just stock camera and mic.
Was not live streaming but you can with the newer cameras that are live stream enabled.

Jun 5, 2020
From my perspective, the GoPro Hero8 is the best camera for recording baseball and softball games. It takes very good video and has field of view (FOV, the angle of the shot) and zoom capability. It also is incredibly rugged and can handle the environment. But a couple things to note, they work well for recording the entire field. Zoom into an outfield position isn't a viable option. The purpose for using this camera is to be able to set it and forget it, allowing you to watch the game. Next, I would suggest that you get an external power source as well. USB batteries (we recommend EasyAcc brand) are fairly cheap and available on Amazon. The internal battery may last 2 hours, but you will need more for more games in a day. You will also find that the internal battery will degrade over time (all batts do this). The external will provide power all day so you don't have to worry. Lastly, don't skimp on a quality SD memory card. GoPro lists comparability and speeds. You want the fastest card you can find, even if not a large card. Slow card cause the camera to over work. This creates heat which causes all kinds of problems.

If the cost of the Hero8 is too much, a refurbished Hero5 is a great buy. The 6 and 7 are usable but have had problems over the years.

If you want to stream, GoPro isn't a good choice. The 7 and 8 have the ability, but only at the ultra wide FOV which is not a good option. For just streaming, cell phones are the most economical. For streaming and recording, Mevo is the best there is.

I hope this helps.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812