Is bunting considered "old softball"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Ok, so I am not sure who you are arguing with because even if somebody goes purely by analytics there will be situations that call for a sac bunt (not many but some)...On the other hand there are some coaches (around here at least) who would bunt in the situations I gave because they view their use of "small ball" as a way to express their "genius"...
I'm not arguing with anyone, especially you, I have to get some work done! ;)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Always? Would you do this in the 1st inning when you know your pitcher is going to give up some runs? How about down by 5 runs in the last inning?
Think reading the players on the field and knowing your own line up have those answers!

1st inning~Right out of the gate, Tests their pitcher and their defense...to get runs.
This answer is largely based on your teams line-up. AND what their defense/pitcher looks like.
Physically and where they are playing their positions.

Last inning down by 5 runs~
after seeing the other team throughout the game there maybe obvious weak spots where small ball fits in. Again could be pending your teams line up. And there teams pitcher.

Tough scenario's to decide sight un-seen.
For instance, how did the other team score 5 runs?!

Even top 18u teams pending players on the field can have a hit away response...or...
'Oh they have her at 3rd base and she's pitching...lets mix it up!'

Jun 8, 2016
Think reading the players on the field and knowing your own line up have those answers!

1st inning~Right out of the gate, Tests their pitcher and their defense...to get runs.
This answer is largely based on your teams line-up. AND what their defense/pitcher looks like.

Last inning down by 5 runs~
after seeing the other team throughout the game there maybe obvious weak spots where small ball fits in. Again could be pending your teams line up. And there teams pitcher.

Tough scenario's to decide sight un-seen.
For instance, how did the other team score 5 runs?!

Even top 18u teams pending players on the field can have a hit away response...or...
'Oh they have her at 3rd base and she's pitching...lets mix it up!'
NOT SMALL BALL, SAC BUNTING...NOT THE SAME THING ;)

In other words you are willing to give up an OUT (hence the word sacrifice), which you have only so many of (I think 3 per inning last time I checked)...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Great example. Those who feel they have no use for small ball have pre-determined their teams ceiling.

I agree that a straight sacrifice is a wasted AB, but bunting is a weapon that when taught and used correctly can beat even the best of teams. SPEED KILLS!!! Put pressure on the defense at all times. Whats easier to defend, a ground ball to an IF, or a bunt requiring 2 IF's, a catcher and pitcher to attack, field than in many cases throw behind them, a 2B to run 30' to cover a bag, and a SS to cover a bag? Not to mention the 3B or P having to go back and cover 3B. Dismissing the bunt as a weapon would be like a pitcher not using a change-up.
👍 Great Point Fury_Mike !

radness

Dec 13, 2019
NOT SMALL BALL, SAC BUNTING...NOT THE SAME THING ;)

In other words you are willing to give up an OUT (hence the word sacrifice), which you have only so many of (I think 3 per inning last time I checked)...
PERFECT! Small ball does not mean always giving up an out! :)

Oct 4, 2018
My older DD is on a decent team with some smaller girls. Coach plays a lot of small ball. It works, and we win about half our games. But part of the reason it works is because the other team makes errors. Like half the time. And those errors are the kinds that lead directly to runs.

It makes me wonder how small ball works against good teams. And how does it work against good teams who know you're playing small ball.

Oct 26, 2019
Always? Would you do this in the 1st inning when you know your pitcher is going to give up some runs? How about down by 5 runs in the last inning?
There is a team where we live that bunts ALL the time. We were up by 8 with one inning to go and they were still bunting EVERY at bat. It was crazy. I think they get away with it “just enough” against weak defensive teams that it encourages them to keep doing it.

I love the suicide squeeze in baseball. It is back breaking from a momentum standpoint. Especially if it adds to a lead you already have when one more insurance run would really help going into the last inning or 2.

Jun 8, 2016
My older DD is on a decent team with some smaller girls. Coach plays a lot of small ball. It works, and we win about half our games. But part of the reason it works is because the other team makes errors. Like half the time. And those errors are the kinds that lead directly to runs.

It makes me wonder how small ball works against good teams. And how does it work against good teams who know you're playing small ball.
Statistically a single is not as good as double in terms of run production..which makes sense. However those statistics have built-in to them, an average pitcher and an average hitter. If the odds of getting a double are so low (for example against a very good pitcher or with a very bad hitter) compared to getting a bunt single, then at some point I would guess the run production probability would switch in favor of the bunt single (e.g. small ball). This is why MLB managers have individual matchup statistics available to them...(of course they are somewhat constrained in 2020 as very few hitters, regardless of how bad they are, have the ability to bunt for a base hit...)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28