Is bunting considered "old softball"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
In fairness to you the statistics presented are just averages. There will always be a place for coaches who are aware of the current game situation and realize the answer the average gives doesn't necessarily apply in the current situation. Maybe you had a good idea that, from the way the batters were swinging against your pitcher that day, one run would increase your probability of winning by a lot.
I knew that run was HUGE, after our number four hitter our chances were super slim, we had to have that run, seriously we HAD to have THAT run!

Head coach has thanked me several times
for what he thought was the craziest last second on the fly call ever!

You made a great point earlier, our pitcher pitched a phenomenal game that day!

Jun 8, 2016
I knew that run was HUGE, after our number four hitter our chances were super slim, we had to have that run, seriously we HAD to have THAT run!

Head coach has thanked me several times
for what he thought was the craziest last second on the fly call ever!

You made a great point earlier, our pitcher pitched a phenomenal game that day!
Personally I would have done the same thing but only because I would have probably stroked out if Marcela struck out (which is why I will never coach a team my kid is playing on..).

Mar 10, 2020
Thats a big difference between well coached defenses and poorly coached defenses. A properly coached pitcher will not let you bunt in a bunting situation. Also a properly coached defense will kill that lead runner no question.

You see it all the time in fastpitch. Everybody in the park knows what a slapper or bunter is about to do, but poorly coached teams let it happen.
B.S. properly coached pitcher wont let bunting occur. Nonsense.
If your properly coached defense was that good you would pitch to the bunt.
Nonsense.

May 23, 2015
I think it depends. For example my kiddo is normally a great hitter. Rarely strikes out but this pitcher in the semi finals had her # all game. Fortunately my kiddo is also a really good bunter and super fast for a righty. Bases loaded no outs our beyond outstanding lead off hitter gets struck out. My kiddo wiffs strike one at the same stupid pitch that had her # all day. Coach sees it...calls instead for the suicide squeeze...game over! You won't be able to convince me that was a wasted bunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thats a perfect call. She's a good bat handler, Bases loaded, and no outs is a no brainer. If she fails to bunt, 1 out. If the runner gets busted at home, bases still loaded. If sucessful its ball game. Theres a ton of pressure on the defense and I doubt any one on the field saw it coming

Would that call be made with 1 or 2 outs?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Soft slap only players are a going the way of the dodo bird. Seen 3rd baseman playing literally 20 feet from home. Slappers must be able to bounce it, bunt it, drive it and aim it to be effective. And with over zealous umps trying to enforce the both feet in the box rule they are going to have more deliberate footwork.(slower)
Does anybody find it humorous that when there is only one ump and the runner leave 3 steps early he says he has to focus on the pitch but the same ump can see if the slapper had both feet in the box at contact while focusing on calling balls and strikes. Oh, and lets not forget that by the 3 inning there is no box.
That being said, all players should be able and willing to bunt and at the same time be a threat to the 3rd baseman's health.

May 23, 2015
Soft slap only players are a going the way of the dodo bird. Seen 3rd baseman playing literally 20 feet from home.

I took a group of infielders to a FSU game to watch Jessica Warren specifically. Love the girl. We were right behind home plate watching her work. I was explaining her thought process and strategies. If you play the 6 watch her

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is a top tier head of org coach who EVERY YEAR has ultra speedy roster.
On and on emphasis on Lefty run/slap/bunt/hitters.
Firecrackers Tony Rico,...
some may have heard of him.
There are other top of org coaches in the neighborhood compile quite a few themselves.
Mike Stith, Mercado, Marty Tyson...
Hmmm. Its the D1 pipeline...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28